Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stopping roomates from stealing my dsl

• Please log in to reply

GUSTACY

GUSTACY

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello-

I was wondering if you guys can help me- I've had DSL for a while now connected to my laptop through an ethernet cable even though my laptop does have a wireless card. The problem is that My roomate just purchased a laptop and is mooching off my internet access stealing my bandwith when approached to hook me up with at least $15 a month they denied! That pissed me off. I have set up my firewall but i doubt that will do the trick i have disabled the "internet sharing " button on the advance properties...now there's a lock appearing on my "Local area" connection. I also have my doubts this has done it , in fact they still have internet connections.

Please help I was cool with sharing my bandwith until i saw what they used it for!!!!

Advertisements

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Are you using a wireless router?

GUSTACY

GUSTACY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That's the thing I don't have a wireless router. All i have is my dsl modem and it's connected to the wall and the ehternet cable to my laptop! I taught he was picking up signal but our 2 neighbors are in their 60 with no internet access because I've asked.So i don't think he is picking a signal from the other apartment complex which is pretty far.

Edited by GUSTACY, 15 May 2005 - 11:49 AM.

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Um, so basically the only wireless thing in your apartment is the adapter in your laptop right?

GUSTACY

GUSTACY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That's right I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 with internal card he has the same...It doesn't make any sense but I'm not a pro at this so I don't know. I don't even use my Wireless access at all....

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
How are they connecting? Are they wirelessly connecting? It sounds like you don't have a wireless router so that wouldn't be possible. The only other way possible is they would have to actually plug into the router. If that's the case, just lock up the router in your room and unplug their cable, or don't even lock it up, just unplug the cable from your router that they're plugging into.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

GUSTACY

GUSTACY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes no router but i just found out they also have a dsl modem connected in their room...but he was inthe living room connected. I'm going to find out if by disconnecting my wire they would be disconnected also...thanks everyone for your help.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Weird, I didn't know that you could have multiple modems connected to the same dsl account at the same time. I don't think you can, are you sure it's a modem? If so then contact your ISP and ask them about this, maybe they can block that MAC address from that modem so they cannot get online.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

• Pip
  • 8 posts
DSL is sent to all phone jacks, that is why you need DSL filters for your phones, i would suggest a couple different things, mainly i would say slap a DSL filter on their line and hope they don't notice. You can also call your provider and they might be able to do something about it or open up the jack and cut a wire.

GUSTACY

GUSTACY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
lol i love that response!!! to cut a wired? lol well i did put on a filter on his line...and i don't want to be a phreaker so i won't cut his lines. Thanks for all your help...I'll see what I can do with my provider......