Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DO I NEED NEW HARD DRIVE?

• Please log in to reply

kazzaroo-kid

kazzaroo-kid

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello all,

My mums laptop is making clunking noises...don't think it has anything to do with the fan. It's a packard bell...where would I get a new hard drive. I have backed up all the files etc

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to determine where the clunking noises are coming from. Take the bottom cover off where the hard drive sits, power the computer and put your ear next to it. You'll know whether it's coming from the drive.

As to where you get one from - any good PC shop or online component store.

kazzaroo-kid

kazzaroo-kid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I will get on to it. Thank u

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
the clunking noise is from the HD then you have to replace hd. It is failing or has failed. I suggest not using it till you determine the extent of the problem and can replace it with a new HD.
If there is any data you need then this will save it.
I would further suggest purchasing a external 2.5 inch drive enclosure and once you have the new drive then you can copy the data off to the new drive.
Please let us know how it goes. :)