Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing extra OS

• Please log in to reply

anara

anara

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We partitioned our laptop into 2 drives, C & D. I didn't really know what I was doing and used some sort of program to do the partition. Cannot undo it. Gave the laptop to my 13 year old for school and he accidentally downloaded XP onto the D drive and 2 XP OS on the C drive. I don't know how this is possible...We now only have 2 gig available on C drive now, our orig. is 15 gig. How can we remove these extra OSs? And eliminate the D drive of 2 gig, or should we keep it? I guess it was to avoid viruses. We now use Dr. Web anti virus and haven't had any problems since.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

What program are you using to do the partitioning? We should be able to remove it without any problems if that partitioning program can be used without losing data. Is there any data in the d: drive you want to keep or is it just the XP installation there.

Two XP OS on c: drive? So you have 3 XP OS installs now (2 on c: drive and 1 on d: drive)?

anara

anara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a feeling you would ask me that question...I don't know what program it was...maybe Partition Magic? I don't have it anymore. I think it was a free trial and I didn't buy it. Since my son has tried reloading Windows, it might have deleted several programs and he just reloads all the stuff we have here on disk. On C Drive, we have school software which we paid $75 to have loaded, which enables him to be on the school web program, so we don't want to lose that. Is it possible to remove one of the OS from the C drive, since there are two on it? The D drive doesn't even matter to me...I would much rather just eliminate that whole thing and get everything back on one drive. Much easier just to buy an external drive to save important stuff....if I need to, I could copy whatever we wanted to save from D over to C, so I don't mind losing everything else on it.

Thanks for your help by the way!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It's usually Partition Magic since it's one of the more popular partion programs out there. Try getting it back again if your trial period didn't expire yet. If you don't have anything on the D: drive (or just copy it over to the c: drive), use Partition Magic to format that d: drive ONLY. Do not touch the c: drive.

Either way, I suggest backing up ALL your data since Partition Magic is not perfect. Although I haven't had any problems using this programs, like all programs it's not 100%, so why take the chance on your data.

OK, now to the other OS on the C: drive. Are you sure there are two windows installations on your c: drive? Is there another folder created under the c: drive that looks similar to windows? Maybe windows1 or something like that? My guess is that you probably have one OS on the C: drive and one on the D: drive.