Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB key doesn't work anymore.

• Please log in to reply

Karl89

Karl89

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello.

I had a USB key that functioned properly in both PCs and MACs.

As I was using it on a mac (at school), while working on a Flash file that was on it (saving regularly, etc.), someone pulled the key out of the MAC abruptly without me properly ejecting it first. From then on, I couldn't use it anymore. The computers wouldn't recognize it. I managed to access the data on it ONCE and managed to save a few vital files I needed but after that I don't seem to be able to use it anymore and there's still lots of stuff on it I absolutely need to save.

When I plug it on a PC, I get the message:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

Any help on how to recover the data on it?

Advertisements

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Anyone? :)

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
When you click the message, what does it say ?

What you can try is go to task manager, end the explorer.exe process, put in your USB key, and start the explorer.exe process again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried it on any other computer?
Have you actually gone to windows explorer and looked to see if it is there?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the flash drive is just trash at this point...
HEADS UP...it will also kill external usb drives if you don't use the safely remove in the system tray before unplugging them too...

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
There is a little chance that it might work, but indeed happyrock, I agree it is very very little.

Please let us know if it works someway Karl89

Edited by bartblaze, 24 October 2009 - 08:49 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
having tried every trick known to man to recovery data WITHOUT sending the external hard drive off to a recovery service...all efforts have failed...nothing will even see the drive...also spent way to many hours trying the flash drives as well...it was wasted time and effort