Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Info for dual booting Vista and 7

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I currently have Windows Vista Ultimate with SP2 installed on my system. I've wanted to install Windows 7 for some time now, but did not feel like setting aside a whole day to install it and all my applications.

Due to a suggestion from an article on PCWorld ( http://www.pcworld.c...ws_7slowly.html ), I've decided create a second partition on my hard drive and install Windows 7 on that, allowing for a dual boot system. This will give me the ability to slowly install Windows 7 on my system, while still having a workable Vista system. I could then install all my applications and settings at my leisure.

I have three questions, though:

1. Which OS will be the default boot-up OS if I dual boot this way? Will it be Vista (which was installed first) or Windows 7 (which is the new install)? If it is Windows 7, how would I make Vista the default boot?

2. Once I get the Windows 7 environment and its applications set up to my satisfaction, how would I go about removing Vista from the boot list and making Windows 7 the only (and as a result, the default) boot OS?

3. I have no third party partitioning application. I will be creating the partition before installing Windows 7 by using the partitioning tool built into Vista (under Computer Management). Will Windows 7's Computer Management then allow me to recombine the two partitions back into one?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements