Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advanced Virus Remover Malware Infection

• Please log in to reply

malwarevictim009

malwarevictim009

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer was infected with the "Advanced Virus Remover" and "Active Security" popup Malware which I believe are strains of some dangerous and irritating Back Door Trojans. The virus disabled my task manager/admin rights and also stopped Malwarebytes from working.

After several hours of trying, I think I got Spyware Doctor 2010 to remove these trojans. However, I faced some re-start issues after that (blue screen on restarting PC). I ran the Spyware Doctor Full Scan a few times and tried disabling Spyware Doctor Automatic start-up while booting the PC...and was somehow able to overcome the re-start issue. (was unable to start up the PC in Safe Mode no matter how many times I tried).

Right now, I ran the Vvundo Fix, Spyware Doctor, Eusing Registry Fix and TFC they all return NO malware/virus errors. However, the two problems I am facing are -
1) Malwarebytes still will not launch. I tried the trick of changing the name of the installation .exe as well as the application file name. However, the software still does not launch and I get a "mbam.exe file not found" error inspite of renaming the file.
2) Internet Explorer does not launch. i tried re-installing, however IE crashes immediately on launching sometimes with the "memory not read" error.

Because of the above, I am nervous that there are some remnants of the Trojan that are still lying around and might become active again. I am able to connect to the Internet and Wireless without any issues.

I will appreciate any guidance you could give on this.

Advertisements

malwarevictim009

malwarevictim009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I wanted to add that I am also occassionally getting a "Unable to load ntuser.dll" and am wondering if this means my AD domain user profile is corrupt (this is my work laptop).