Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG Internet Security Firewall

• Please log in to reply

G.Neko

G.Neko

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
AVG internet security has its own firewall - which mean it will disable my firewall in my laptop. Should i disable AVG firewall or leave it that way? And what setting should i put for the firewall?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the windows default firewall (that came with SP2) is pretty ineffectual as it's only meant to interact with inbound traffic

to my knowledge the AVG firewall is bidirectional (filters both inbound and outbound) and is a bit more robust than the windows firewall so you should use it instead of the windows firewall

as far as the settings go...that's kind of up to what you want to do with the computer, how secure you want to be, and what level of interaction you want to have with the firewall

IMO (this goes for any firewall) the best setting model is the "block all, allow some" method...where you set the firewall at it's highest settings and block all traffic to begin with, then only allow the stuff you know you want... this requires a bit of knowledge about network traffic and applications so it can be confusing to set up for someone who isn't experienced, but it's the most secure way to use a firewall

some people go the opposite route and allow all and block some...IMO this is the same as not having a firewall...

abru

abru

• Pip
  • 1 posts
windows firewall is of no use.. avg has a strong firewall... install it nd it will automatically disable the windows firewall.. no need to configure avg firewall... if u need u knw wat programs u use ... so it can b allowed in its setting....

AVG internet security has its own firewall - which mean it will disable my firewall in my laptop. Should i disable AVG firewall or leave it that way? And what setting should i put for the firewall?