Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't reinstall printer after system recovery

• Please log in to reply

dcaporel

dcaporel

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I had to restore my system to a previous state. I have an IBM Thinkpad with Windows XP Professional ed. I reinstalled all the previous Windows updates and was able to reinstall other applications like Kodak EasyShare. However, when I tried to reinstall my HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-one printer, I get "Fatal Error 2753 MSI.dot4wrp" I have tried several times rebooting the Thinkpad each time. The printer works fine with my other computer, an HP Pavilion, and worked fine with my Thinkpad be the restore. I thought it might be the installation disk so I uninstalled the the printer on the Pavilion and then reinstalled with same disk and it worked fine! Any ideas?

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi dcaporel,

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Open Add/Remove Programs and look for the HP Printer, uninstall it. (or you can uninstall the printer using the installation CD.)
Click Start, and then click Run. Type Msiexec /unregister and click OK.
Click Start, and then click Run. Type Msiexec /reregister and click OK.
Reinstall the HP software from the CD.

Tell us if that worked.

dcaporel

dcaporel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Sarahw: I tried your suggestion and typed: Msiexec/unregister in the run window and then OK. I got a message that said that this command could not be found! Thanks for the thought, but I guess I'm still looking for ideas.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi,
Here is another suggestion:

• Insert the installation CD in the computer.
  • Click Cancel to close the autorun screen.
  • Open the Run window.

• Windows XP: Click Start , and then click Run.
    • Windows Vista: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), type Run in the Start Search box, and then press Enter .
  • Click Browse .
  • Find the drive that contains the software CD, and then double-click the drive.
  • Click the Util folder, and then double-click the CCC folder.
  • Double-click the file Uninstall_L4.bat .
  • Click OK to run the Level 4 uninstall.
  • Restart the computer after the software removal process finishes.
  • Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
  • Open a new window to browse to the Select Software and Drivers page:

• Right-click this link, Select Software and Drivers , and then click Open in New Window .
    • If prompted, type your product number. You might also need to click it in a list of similar products.
    • Click your operating system.
    • The Select software and drivers page opens.
  • In the Driver section, click the Full Feature Software and Drivers option.
  • Thoroughly review the download options and information, and then click Install now or Download only , depending on your download preferences.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

dcaporel

dcaporel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Sarahw: Well I worked on this printer off and on over the last week and by downloading drivers from the HP website I did get the install to go as far as running off a USB cable. I still get the fatal error if I try to go to the part of the install that assigns the printer to a network, but at least this is something. Also, I found several other people on the web with the same problem and the same error with HP printers. Why hasn't provided a fix for this? or at least made their service dept. aware of the problem. When I contacted HP they never said a word about this being a common and recurring problem. I am very disappointed in them but very thankful to my friends at Geeks to Go.

Thankyou again
dcaporel