Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet after Vundo and FakeAlert removal

• Please log in to reply

BAM3

BAM3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I'm new to the forum so please be patient.

I am currently running Windows XP Media Center Addition SP2.

Earlier this week, i picked up two viruses called FakeAlert and Vundo.H. McAfee was unable to remedy the problem and my computer was useless. From a separate memory stick I ran the following programs in this order:
ATF Cleaner
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes Anti Maleware

These programs successfully quarantined the two Trojans as well some other adware and spyware. I restarted and ran the programs again. Upon startup I am getting an error stating that McAfee Back up and Restore couldn’t open port 9000…. I also scanned with McAfee but found nothing. Everything else seems to working correctly, but I am unable to access the internet. The computer successfully logs into the wireless network but no internet pages cannot be displayed. It seems that the router is sending info but the computer isn't receiving it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

BAM3

BAM3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok guys....I think I'm up a creek here.
Like most unknowledgeable computer owners, I tried fixing my computer myself with directions from another site. I have not attempted the how-to on this site. I am unsure if I can attempt the fix this site suggests even though I have already tried it another way. I am also not sure if I this will do further damage.

I am having issues because I don't have another computer to work from while I try to fix my own. All I can do is read the internet at work and download programs to a memory stick. I know that what I did is what noobs do on every forum, I just hope that someone is able to bail me out.

Thanks in advance.