Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Msstyles has problems running

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hmmmm... I'm trying to get some msstyles theme to function properly. I'm using WinXP btw. First, the msstyles folder was copied into X:\Windows\Themes and the folder contains shell.dll and the msstyles file itself.

Then, I ran uxtheme 6.0 successfully but when I double-clicked on the msstyles, I got some sort of error about "no program associated". I also tried to create a file association:
"Msstyles = Msstyles file" but it now opens with Notepad.

Any idea how I can get msstyles to work again? Things started going kinda wrong when I installed the Nokia Phone Suite which sorta broke quite a few things, most of which I managed to fix.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Chicken mania, 22 October 2009 - 09:04 AM.

Advertisements

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Okay, this problem is still around. So, I unpatched uxtheme.dll and repatched it with uxtheme 6.0

I'm running WinXP Pro with SP3.0. I don't have any system Restore points, btw.

First, I found that msstyles extension was missing in the "File Types" tab under Folder Options. So, I fixed it by creating an association with .msstyles=msstylesfile . Now, the problem is that msstyles is set to open with F:\windows\system32\shell32.dll and no matter how many times I double-click it, nothing happens(that is: Windows XP doesn't change appearance).

Second, .theme can be loaded via Display Properties but the file association also seemed to have disappeared. I managed to associate it with "Windows Theme API" but I get some "F:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Windows Classic.theme is not a valid Win32" error message.

Anything I can do? I do wish to avoid reinstalling WinXP. Would it be possible to restore the dlls?

Edit: Nvmz, I think I shall repair the system when I've some spare time this weekend. :)

Edited by Chicken mania, 13 November 2009 - 02:43 AM.