Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NVIDIA card help

• Please log in to reply

McKinney

McKinney

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Having Nvidia Graphics Card Drama::

SHORT VERSION:

My Graphics Card will not update, even Nvdia doesn’t recognize it. Tried to do archive updates, nothing works.

LONG VERSION:**8

My Computer screen went black. So I called Gateway. Waited for over 30 minutes. Tried everything under the sun, then finally the guy told me to do this:
* Unplug the computer, then press the on button for 20 seconds, then turn the power back on. This worked.

It is a trick that works for whatever reason. I have used it from time to time.

2.However, this time it did not work.

3. I have an Nvidia GeForce 8400gs graphics card. The Monitor was plugged into the port where the graphics card is. . The screen went black. I did the power off trick, but it didn’t work.

4. So I move the cord back to the Original monitor port. It works, But now I cannot log into Second Life to take my online classes.

5 When I try to log into Second life for Class, I get this message: **Secondlife is unable to run because your Video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or for unsupported hardware. Please make sure that you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them. If you continue to receive this message, contact customer service.

6. Now, I call Nvidia, I am registered there. I tried to update the divers; Then I get this Message::**

The Nvidia set up program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Set up will now exit**

I was like, are you kidding me, I have done Nvidia driver updates before with No problems. So I try this again. After attempt number 12 fails. I call Nvidia Customer service. I’m on hold for 35 minutes, then the phone goes dead. I call back, waiting 10 minutes, Then I get someone.

I explain the issue with them, He takes me through all the steps, trys old diver updates, nothing works

We went through search, hardware, device manager, update drivers, etc, etc, Nothing works.

He asked me to open up the computer, to make sure the card was in place. I did. Everything is in place. Inside is clean. Tried again to update. Same message.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have Missed 3 days of Class. I do online classes because of Physical Challenges. I had a professional insert this card several months ago. This is the first time that I have ever had a problem not being able to update drivers. They wont be available until next weak

I have some knowledge about computers, but not a genius expert like you guys. Please help

Sincerely,

Mckinney

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

4. So I move the cord back to the Original monitor port. It works, But now I cannot log into Second Life to take my online classes.

Need to ask a question... this Original monitor port... is this on the Nvidia card, or on the motherboard? If its on the motherboard, then this is probably why you can't update it with Nvidia software, unless your computer has onboard Nvidia video.

What is the model of your Gateway... and if the computer has a label affixed to it, what is the Service tag number?

As for the Nvidia card... open the case and make sure the fan is spinning. Also, are you having any display issues when you use the Nvidia card, or are you trying to update drivers because Second Life is asking you to do it?

Sometimes "updating" won't work for whatever reasons. It's sometimes better to uninstall the current driver, and reinstall a later one. Have you tried this yet?