Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lsass.exe error

• Please log in to reply

Mich73

Mich73

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm working on a friends laptop. It is a Dell that was built buy someone so there is no disks. I do have an XP Dell disk that I was trying to fix it with.

I researched the lsass.exe threads here and tried to follow them but after a few hours, I have not got anywhere.

I boot up get the message lsass.exe Unable to locate component The application has failed because DNSAPI.dll was not found. Reinstalling the app may fix this problem.

I have tried to do a scandisk, chkdsk /p, and another chkdsk...I forgot which now. They find errors but dont seem to fix them.

If I hit the Ok button on the error, it starts to load but then I just get a black screen, I can not boot in safemode either. It does the same thing.

Thanks for any help.
Michele

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm assuming, you're posting from another working XP computer....

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of dnsapi.dll to the current RC.ISO

* In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
* Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
* Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (assuming, you're using working XP computer), and select csrss.exe
* Then click Open to add dnsapi.dll to the CD image.
* Click File and select Save As...
* Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

* Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
* Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
* Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
* In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
* Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
* And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy dnsapi.dll c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for the help. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Got too many things on my plate.

I was finally able to copy the disc in step 1, I have Vista but I used my daughters pc which has XP and it worked fine. Said it was successful.

When I went to load it onto the laptop, I get the message that it cant find the file or something to that effect. It gives me this message after I enter cd i386. and continues after the rest.

I am making sure I have all the spaces. I did it like this.

D: (enter)
cd (space)i386(enter)
copy(space)dnsapi.dll(space)c:\windows\system32(enter)

Not sure where I went wrong.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My mistake I thought we were talking about a XP system that was having the problem.
If your system is Vista and Daughters system is XP the fix will not work.
Am I right in the OS system difference?

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I do have vista and my daughter has XP. Her computer is working fine and that is where I copied the disc from. The broken laptop is using XP.
I hope that makes more sense.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now I understand.
OK this is what I suggest be done.
Have the data backed up on your friends system. You can do this by using a Linux live disk like Puppy Linux
Once data is safely backed up then you need to do a non destructive recovery using the Recovery Partition on the hard drive.
This is suppose to keep the data intact but by doing the backup first then we will be safe.

Get Puppy Linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Give me a few days to update this. Ive been trying to deal with a crappy power cord, that finally died. So I just had to order a new one. Once I get it I will retry and post an update.

Thanks so much for your help. I have learned so much from this forum.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we are here to the finish good or bad. :) :) :)

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for your help. We were able to fix the laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear. :)
Can you tell how it was resolved as this may help someone in the future with the same problem.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
My husband used our windows Xp disk and reinstalled it. I tried to do this before but couldn't. Now Im gonna keep hearing I told ya so from him for a long time. lol

Thanks for all your help.

tchris1223

tchris1223

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! I am having a similar problem with my laptop. I am assuming that I have contracted the Sasser virus. My computer will not boot and informs me that there is lsass.exe-system error: object name not found. When I click OK it reboots my computer and is an ongoing cycle. I have taken your advice above and have worked from my desktop that also runs in Windows XP. I have created the RSplus.iso disk. However, when I try to run it on my computer upon Setup it will stop and say "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Am I doing something wrong? The welcome to setup window has not appeared for me yet.

Thanks,
Christie

P.S. I do not have the original Windows XP installation CD either

Edited by tchris1223, 19 December 2009 - 05:52 PM.