Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

jacton

jacton

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I keep getting an error message:-

''The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer has not been correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance''

I have tried contacting Microsoft but cannot get an answer, does anybody know what is wrong and how to correct the problem. I have tried running reg-cleaners and restore back to the beginning of the month but the problem persists.

I am running windows vista and never had problems before

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353

jacton

jacton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried everything on the Microsoft site and I cannot even install the windows installer cleanup utility I get the error message:-
Just tried this and got the error message in a box titled
'Windows Script Host' in a blue titled box then underneath
Script: C:\Users\TONYL~1\AppData\local\Temp\IXP000.Tmp\Start MSi.vbs
Line: 17
Char: 1
Error: Permission Denied
Code: 800A0046
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

Have no idea what it means but it would not let me download the windows Installer CleanUp Utility, so I cannot remove the prolem programs.

I have tried using MBAM Malwarebytes program which found 40 errors but when I then tried to install the Windows utility, I just received the original error message about the windows installer.

I have tried the recommendation for the manual change but nothing seems to clear the problem

jacton

jacton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried everything on the Microsoft site and I cannot even install the windows installer cleanup utility I get the error message:-
Just tried this and got the error message in a box titled
'Windows Script Host' in a blue titled box then underneath
Script: C:\Users\TONYL~1\AppData\local\Temp\IXP000.Tmp\Start MSi.vbs
Line: 17
Char: 1
Error: Permission Denied
Code: 800A0046
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

Have no idea what it means but it would not let me download the windows Installer CleanUp Utility, so I cannot remove the prolem programs.

I have tried using MBAM Malwarebytes program which found 40 errors but when I then tried to install the Windows utility, I just received the original error message about the windows installer.

I have tried the recommendation for the manual change but nothing seems to clear the problem

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

Let this run until you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system..

jacton

jacton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running windows vista home premium so cannot do that can I?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes you can....SFC works in vista as well...as long as you've got your vista disk

Here are the instructions for Vista

jacton

jacton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay have run it and received the message:-
'Windows Resource Protection did not find any intergrity violations'