Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burner drive not burning..shows as DVD RAM drive...

• Please log in to reply

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
My DVD burner drive is no longer being recognized as a DVD Burner. Every time I put a blank DVD in it, it says it's a blank CD. Also, when I try to burn DVDs with DVD software, it won't burn. I've tried upgrading the driver, but it won't let me do that either.

Any idea what the cause could be?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely the dvd write side has failed.
Will it play a dvd if you play one?

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Most likely the dvd write side has failed.
Will it play a dvd if you play one?

Yeah, it still plays DVDs. You're probably right about the write side failing. For that, there's no repair, is there, except for replacing the drive. Luckily, they're pretty cheap on NewEgg (not at bestbuy! They're like $50-80 there!)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Correct on all accounts.
No way to fix
Cheaper most of the time to buy through NewEgg or Tigerdirect.
I looked and Tigerdirect has dvd\cdrw burners for as low as 30.00 dollars plus shipping. Probably about 40 with standard 3 - 7 days shipping