Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URGENT! HELP PLEASE! Award Modular BIOS v4.51pg

• Please log in to reply

Goko

Goko

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Preface: The reason this is urgent, is because I am going through a divorce, don't have any mony and I'm getting my kids later today. Their favorite thing to do together is to play multiplayer games with me. My daughter's computer is messed up and I need to fix it before I pick them up.

Problem: I can't access anything in the CMOS Setup Utility other than: USER PASSWORD, SAVE & EXIT SETUP and EXIT WITHOUT SAVING.

The system was working fine, until I screwed it up by attempting to add a second hard drive for her. I utilized IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION and Saved, but now I can't revert my selections, because that menu is no longer available.

Please help me ASAP!

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
welcome to GTG
On most MB there is a jumper to reset your cmos when you use this jumper you need to unplug your power cord from your cpu.

(Please refer to your motherboard manual for jumper location.)

step by step.

Unplug the power from the cpu
If you have 2 pins, short the two pins with a jumper for 10 seconds or so then pull the jumper and return it back to the default position.
If you have 3 pins, then move the jumper pin from default postion, jumpered 1-2 and move over to pins 2-3. Wait for 10 seconds or so, then move back to default position 1-2.
Plug the power back in and you should get an error message indicated by 2 beeps to run the setup for CMOS.
You may need to make the BIOS settings at this point and you're done!
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's an alternative method to clear BIOS/CMOS:

Disconnect the power, remove the computer case, look for a battery on the motherboard (like shown below). Remove this battery for at least five minutes. Then replace the battery, and reconnect the power. Reboot and see if it worked. You'll need to reset the system time and date.

A typical motherboard battery:
Posted Image