Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard types incorrect keys

• Please log in to reply

hollisbrown

hollisbrown

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there. Every now and again my keyboard goes into a sort of test mode and begins typing the qwerty keyboard layout regardless of what keys are pressed. For example in MSWord I type a sentence and this is what I get....4567890-=qwertyuiop[]asdfghjkl;'`\zxcvbnm,./-+\1234567.... and so it will repeat. It does not seem to impact internet explorer as I am typing this message with no problem. It happens in Word, excel, notebook, outlook, Google earth search bar etc but not in the IE browser windows. Could this be a virus?

Hope you can help

Regards

Jon

Advertisements

Drew123

Drew123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My system is doing the same thing. Found your post while searching for the cause/solution. Began approx 1 week ago. Using an Acer AspireOne netbook. Reloaded the keyboard driver with no improvement. Problem goes away (temporarily...time frame seems to vary) when system is restarted. Appears to affect everything except web browsers. Both IE8 and Opera continue to function normally. Using ZoneAlarm and also did scans with AVG with no reported viruses.

Using the keyboard results in the same characters being repeated: 567890-=qwertyuiop[]asdfghjkl;'`\zxcvbnm,./-+\12345678. However, shortcuts still work (ctrl-c, ctrl-v, etc) as do the shift, tab, and spacebar keys.

Have not yet been able to test with a usb keyboard.

Anyone have thoughts on a likely cause?

Thanks.

Drew123

Drew123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I wanted to offer up a solution to the orginal poster or anyone else having these issues. Assuming you're also running ZA Extreme, there's an identified problem with the 'antikeylogging' feature. To turn it off go into browser security - settings - advanced. Restart and you should be good to go. Additional info can be found in the ZA user forums.

kelloggss

kelloggss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I ran into this tonight,same symptoms as above..certain keys would restart or log off..if i hit a letter like a "t" i would get like "tfg"..on screen keyboard was fine while keyboard wasn't,and yes I checked it with another keyboard..same thing!..I was sure it was a virus and was about to do a clean install until i put malwarebytes on and scanned it..Nothing!,but when I turned the malwarebytes ip blocker on it immediately blocked an address..and my keyboard was back to normal...What the...? did both my keyboards just have a hiccup? did i have a virus?,do I still?? or was i getting hit from outside?

It started while i was on line,and no i didn't download anything..anti virus never hit on anything,malwarbytes never hit on anything...the only other thing it could be is a flaw in Vista that caused it to freeze up and that wouldn't be to shocking!