Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stressing over Processes

• Please log in to reply

icecraker77

icecraker77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I am looking for some help along the Processes on my "not so" special notebook; Acer Ferrari 3400 running Windows 7 w/ 1.25GB RAM! Now generally it runs pretty good considering "well ya know" anyway my concern is this when in task manager/ Processes I click on name "ya know" alphabetical order" and all. So anyway I see a process csrss.exe but, not once but twice? Now here's the thing when I click then chose properties its pulling from the exact same file location so far be it me to know why but, in my short understanding of computers I don't recall any thing remotely close please don't hesitate cause I'm a stay at home father and this is one of my daily babysitting tools as well as a place to wonder in my own thoughts, hopes, and dreams!!!.... Thanks Ya'll! :) :)

Advertisements

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Two running csrss.exe processes is completely normal since Vista came around. There is nothing wrong with this happening - in fact - it is supposed to be this way.

If you want to read up on the changes (granted this is from XP to Vista) you can read an article on it here: http://technet.micro...istakernel.aspx

I know you are talking about Windows 7 and not Windows Vista - but I am sure the reasoning behind this is the same on both OSes.

in short - one csrss.exe is used by "kernel" mode and one is used for "User" mode. Or - one for session 0 and one for session 1

Edited by geekhelp4u, 23 October 2009 - 10:06 AM.