Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC often freezes while using windows xp 64bit

• Please log in to reply

narlina

narlina

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. Help needed

my new PC freezes all the time but I cant seem to do anything about it. Can someone help?

first of all, here are my PC specs.

Processor: Intel QuadCore Q8400 2.66ghz
DVD RW: Samsung 22x SATA INT DVD-RW
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L socket 775 mainboard
Graphic: MSI V169 N9600GT 512MB DDR3 PCI Express
Hard disk: WD 3.5 5000AADS 500GB 7200RPM 32MB SATAII
Memory: Corsair XMS3 $GB 1333Mhz DDR3
Power supply: Raidmax 500w power supply
LG Flatron
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and mouse

I sent all these parts to someone for assembly, and he pointed out to me that if I wanted to use XP 64bit, there are some problems, particularly with the drivers (but he didn't tell me which driver)

Eventually I installed XP, both 32 and 64bit

I took the PC back and installed Kubuntu myself. When I tried to explore the newly installed OS, I noticed several problems with the desktop effects, particularly with the OpenGL settings and RenderX. I cannot change the desktop settings from OpenGL to RenderX, and I also noticed the effects are not showing as they should:
-desktop cube not functioning
-wobble effects only shows a line (sort of like a frame surrounding the window) wobbling, not the entire window

and few other effects not functioning as well.

and back to XP 64, sometimes it freezes for so long (appr 10-15 minutes), and it resumes back to normal, sometimes after I finished taking my bath, made myself a cup of coffee, bla3. It often freezes during these conditions:

-running setups like Thunderbird, Chrome, and few others (one at a time)
-compiling source codes using Borland C++ 5.02 (this is the most frustrating part, because if it took too long, I'd have to restart the whole rig and type back all my source codes and save it before compiling to avoid losing them while the pc freezes)
-opening several programs that I haven't used for quite some time. Just now I tried opening TuneUp utilities and the pc freezes for about 4 years (okay just about 10 minutes) before showing the window

If the PC freezes, if I cant wait long enough, I'd usually press the restart button. Usually the pc will reboot and I can login to my XP 64 but sometimes (twice) it says "user profile cannot be found.. bla3.. loading you with temporary profile bla3.." when this happens I just login using the temporary profile and perform system restore.

BSOD never occured so far

When I play games on XP 64bit, the PC works fine.

if it's with the drivers, how would I know which one is the culprit? I tried running Driver Sweeper to check for any faulty or outdated drivers but I gave up after the setup took me almost 20 minutes =_="

Ouh yeah, and sorry, I don't know where to put this topic =_=" I just thought the problem might be with Windows XP 64 bit so I put this here.

please tell me if you need more infos

thanks

Advertisements