Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit system see s dual core in 32 bit os

• Please log in to reply

diybri

diybri

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i have a 64 bit ready system . ecs p4m800-m7 mobo and p4 3.2 ghz 2m/800 ht single core.i am currently running a 32 bit os xp home ssp3, in the task manager it shows dual cpu cores even though its a single core cpu. speed fan also shows two cores. what i want to know is am i getting the benifits of two cores performance wise. and is it running faster now than it would with a 64 bit os.

cheerss ... :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The clue is in the processor description - HT.
HT, short for hyper-threading, is effectively painting the impression that you have a dual-core processor when in actual fact you don't. While some applications will respond to it, it doesn't change the fact it's a single core processor and performance wise it will never be any faster than a true dual-core processor. The operating system being 32-bit or 64-bit is irrelevant in this case.