Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

HOBZ_117

HOBZ_117

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have been hearing alot that when you upgrade you have to have the orginal install disks from your previous OS. Since mine was purchased at a store i do not have these does this mean i cannot use the upgrade version of 7?

Sorry if this is completely wrong but any input would be appreciated

Advertisements

MJboyd

MJboyd

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am having problems that existed before I switched but I was never asked for the original OS discs. I just clicked on the upgrade option and it done the rest. It takes a while which I am sure you know but like I said it never asked for additional discs. Hope this helps.
Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello HOBZ_117...

If you do the normal upgrade, starting the install from within the Windows environment, you should not be asked for the disk for a previous version Windows operating system.

If you use an upgrade disk to perform a clean installation of Windows 7, you will be asked for the disk for a qualifying product (previous version of Windows).

wannabe1

HOBZ_117

HOBZ_117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
so basically if you dont have the discs its a waste of time as ive heard that not using a clean install upgrade doesnt do much for you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've been having pretty good luck upgrading machine from Vista to Windows 7....the upgrades are "taking" just fine. As stated earlier, though, they do take some time to complete.

If you are upgrading from XP to Windows 7, you will have to do a clean install. Also be sure to run the compatability wizard before installing Windows 7......some XP machines just will not handle Windows 7...or Vista for that matter.

halc3

halc3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Vista Basic Home came installed my laptop when purchased new. No Vista disk was furnished. So, if I follow your advice, it will be impossible to install Windows 7 from scratch because I can't reference a previous Windows Vista disk. Are you sure? Can you confirm that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I can only speak from experience with previous versions of Windows. So far all the Windows 7 upgrades I've done have been accomplished using full install disks...so no qualifying product is required.

Even in Vista, using an upgrade disk for a clean install resulted in a prompt for a qualifying product. I've never seen much in the line of documentation on this, but I've sure enough been prompted for a qualifying product every time I've tried a clean install using an upgrade disk.

halc3

halc3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After my post, I proceeded with installation of Windows 7 Home Deluxe...over Vista Home Basic. Did a clean install.

Answer? No, it doesn't require the user to acknowledge a qualifying product.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

After my post, I proceeded with installation of Windows 7 Home Deluxe...over Vista Home Basic. Did a clean install.

Answer? No, it doesn't require the user to acknowledge a qualifying product.

I just installed Windows 7 Professional I got through Digital River on my laptop. It said it was only an upgrade and it didn't ask for any disk or previous windows key as I figured it would.

So short answer, as of right now. No It will not prompt you for any form of validation on any previous OS to qualify for the upgrade.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
heh...I went out and bought an upgrade version last night so I could verify this one way or the other. :)

Thanks for posting your findings.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Hello:

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Pro from XP PRO. I was reading yesterday that when upgrading from Vista to Seven, you should NOT have any problems with the upgrade option if going from Vista to Seven, but they tell you that if you go to Seven from XP to back up your files, as you will have to do a full install. However, it should be noted that Anytime you upgrade/install a newer OS that you back up your files. as the full install option I believe Partitions and Formats your drive.

I am still new to 7, and should have my primary machine back soon - So Far I like what I see. and I recently attended a Windows 7 Launch Party a DAY before Oddessy Crashed - one of my CD/DVD drives is believed to be the issue, and I was able to save the files I needed, so I am OK. I was told that 7 is supposed to fix all problems that Vista had, and that it is supposed to be a more stable OS - So far, I am pleased with what I saw last night :)

Good Luck to you!

Brian