Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power & Boot Up Problems

• Please log in to reply

notquiteanexpert

notquiteanexpert

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi everyone,

My machine all of a sudden is displaying the following symptoms:

1. When I press the power button, it will repetitedly power up for about 2 secs, switch off for a few seconds, then power up for 2 seconds etc....

2. After about 10 times of doing the above, the power will STAY on, but it doesn't actually get to the BIOS screen and consequently wont boot up. It will literally just sit there (longest I waited was around 5 minutes) with power on, but doesn't boot up and no monitor/screen activity.

3. I walked away for a couple of minutes the other night when it was doing this routine and came back in to find it had somehow booted and Windows was ready to go!! Also, sometimes points 1 & 2 above dont even happen and the machine boots up fine!

I thought the problem might be power supply related, but if this were the case, I wouldn't think that the power would stay on, as described in point 2 above.....Likewise I wouldn't think point 3 would happen either.

Could this be BIOS related? I wasn't sure of this either, because in point 1, it doesn't even get close to the BIOS screen...

Anyway suggestions of things to investigate would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by notquiteanexpert, 23 October 2009 - 01:53 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It will be quite a stretch to give you any pointers/ solutions unless we know what type of computer we are talking about.
Could be:
heat
power supply
board
corrupted OS
bad drivers,
etc

Is it a laptop or desktop?
Make and model?
Is it home built?
Install any new hardware/software?
Exhibiting any odd symptoms prior to the problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
well put 123Runner... :)