Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Does Multiple Partitions Slow Performance?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Howdy G2G,

Another question for you. On my laptop I am currently running XP and Ubuntu with a FAT32 'storage' drive. The partitions are as such:
10GB XP Drive
10GB Ubuntu Drive
~80GB Storage

I plan on getting a bigger HD (250 or 320) and doing something like this:
15GB Ubuntu (whatever their partition is)
25GB Windows 7 (NTFS or similar)
The rest storage. (Fat32)

Will this many partitions inhibit performance? The laptop is fairly dated (Toshiba M55-S325, purchased in 2005-6) but performs well since my 1GB memory upgrade and I think could handle a 32bit 7. Would I be losing a lot of quality by having XP and 7? Should I just drop XP?

I don't use my computer for much more than internet and resume writing, but I do like having my SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and ProE available.

An aside... I was planning on installing them this way: 7, XP, Ubuntu. Will I run into any troubles with XP and 7 on the same box?

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
partition size has no effect on speed of operation...especially if the partitions are on the same physical disk

if you have a lot of large partitions (A LOT) on multiple hard drives you can see SOME degradation in access times but it shouldn't be a horrible amount (most people wouldn't notice on a regular basis)...but that would only occur when accessing data on another partition from the main partition where the OS is

since you've got separate OS's in separate partitions normal operation of the OS won't be effected at all since it's not having to "jump" partitions to get to the data needed to run the OS...the only time you'd possibly notice a slow down would be when you go to get info off the storage partition...but since that will be on the same physical drive you won't actually notice anything there