Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Goofy message in Windows 7 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

halc3

halc3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows 7 home pro tells me that it refuses to upgrade my Vista home basic unless I remove Perfect Disk software. Problem is...I don't have Perfect Disk software, and a search of my hard drive confirms that. It's nowhere, not even the registry, and I certainly have never installed it.
Anyone else experiencing that problem?

Advertisements

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
KB976552

To resolve this issue, you must manually remove the PerfectDisk subdirectory in the Program Files folder before you can upgrade. To do this, follow these steps:

1. From within Windows Vista click Start, Computer and then double-click on the C:\ drive (or the drive that Windows is currently installed on)
2. Double-click the Program Files folder
3. Right-click the PerfectDisk folder and click Delete
4. Close the Explorer window and restart Windows 7 Setup

Make sure that the following registry key does not exist
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Raxco

Also - try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to make sure it does not see it listed.

Also - do you use a Windows Home Server?

Edited by geekhelp4u, 24 October 2009 - 12:23 PM.