Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Home re-install won't finish

• Please log in to reply

One-eyed Moron

One-eyed Moron

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

My computer crashed while working on recovering some deleted/lost files (blue screen) and after that wouldn't enter any mode for Windows (safe-mode, command prompt, last known config etc.) - since I had recently backed up all my files, I decided to format the harddrive and start over.

Since my computer (dell dimension 3100 desktop) came with Win XP Home already installed I ended up borrowing my parents' copy of the original XP Home. It worked fine and my original product key worked during the Win install, but now I'm stuck in the 'log on' part where Windows keep asking me to confirm my product code via the internet. I've got a LAN connection plugged in and the connection works fine (I'm using it to post this through my laptop) but I keep getting 'can't connect to the internet' error and an option to 'confirm via telephone'.

I've tried to click retry several times rebooting the computer but there was no change. If I click 'remind me later' it takes me back to the Log on to Windows screen.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on how to solve this problem, it's driving me crazy. :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Not sure what's going on here, but you would have been done activating by phone in less time than it took to create this topic. Just activate by phone... it doesn't take that long.

One-eyed Moron

One-eyed Moron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello,
Not sure what's going on here, but you would have been done activating by phone in less time than it took to create this topic. Just activate by phone... it doesn't take that long.

Hi again,

Yeah, I realize now I should have been more specific when I wrote the topic; I live in Denmark, Scandinavia and wrote this in the dead of the night where the Microsoft telephone support was closed.

I did try to call them again this morning and was reconnected to the UK support service since the Danish one isn't open during weekends (it's Saturday afternoon over here) - but when I click the 'Telephone' button a new product key isn't generated, there's just a short row of lines like this '------' I tried to start over several times plus rebooting the computer twice and the customer support guy told me he has no idea why this is and to call back on Monday.

So please, has anyone ever tried this and know how to make it work?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The disk you used to reinstall may have scripts that determine the system configuration. If so, and they differ too much from your dell configuration, may be why you're having problems. What kind of computer/disk does your mom have? Is it also a dell? In any case, I advise you wait until Monday to speak to Microsoft and they will probably have you run through a bunch of registry/script generations to correct the problem. In the meantime, non-activation shouldn't prevent you from using the computer... you just have to put up with that funky "30 days left to activate" pop-up.

One-eyed Moron

One-eyed Moron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The disk you used to reinstall may have scripts that determine the system configuration. If so, and they differ too much from your dell configuration, may be why you're having problems. What kind of computer/disk does your mom have? Is it also a dell? In any case, I advise you wait until Monday to speak to Microsoft and they will probably have you run through a bunch of registry/script generations to correct the problem. In the meantime, non-activation shouldn't prevent you from using the computer... you just have to put up with that funky "30 days left to activate" pop-up.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me on this.

My parents' use a home-built computer and bought Win XP Home (no service packs) seperately back in the day. It's made with parts mostly store bought but some taken from other computers, so I honestly have no idea what's in it.

Spurred on by the comment of being able to still access the system, I tried clicking the 'remind me later' button but the system sends me back to the welcome screen/administrator login and then a pop-up alerts me that I need to activate my product key and takes me straight to the 'product key activation' screen. Rinse and repeat as many times as I bother clicking 'remind me later'.

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday :) but thanks anyway.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, good luck on Monday. Are you sure you didn't get a recovery disk with your computer? Dell normally supplies one or two disks when they sell you a computer.

One-eyed Moron

One-eyed Moron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Well, good luck on Monday. Are you sure you didn't get a recovery disk with your computer? Dell normally supplies one or two disks when they sell you a computer.

Thanks =)

I called the Microsoft hotline Monday morning but the activation code guy couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work either, same as UK one I spoke to Saturday. After spending nearly an hour with a support service worker answering the same 5-6 questions over and over I was told to contact Dell as it must be a hardware problem.

Dell wouldn't give me a new CD/DVD with Win XP although I still have reciepts, licence keys, product codes and even the box the computer came. According to Dell, my computer stopped being their responsibility the moment the two year warranty expired. When I asked them about why there wasn't a XP CD or even a recovery tool included in the original package deal, he said it might have been a packaging error and that I should have contacted Dell back then.

In other words, case closed, buying a new computer on Monday. Ergh.

Thanks for the replies to this subject, though :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You should be able to get a recovery CD from them for a nominal cost.