Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS Update

• Please log in to reply

terry778

terry778

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have an eMachines T6524. I did the recovery process, and I need to find a BIOS Update for it. any information?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
emachines uses various motherboards in their systems. The emachines website doesn't specify what kind of motherboard is installed in your T6524. You may need to contact emachines directly to find out which bios you need.

Beyond that, it's not recommended to update bios unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY... is there a reason you need to update your bios?

terry778

terry778

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
only because after I did a recovery, the emachine was stuck in the recovery loop, I wanted to save some files. It then asked for the bios update as a last resort, and would wipe all data. since that, I have had to take it to get the HDD slaved to extract the files. Now I'll just wait to find out if it restarts windows.

thanks for responding, if necessary, I'll try another post. I understand that I should advise against the future purcahse of emachines.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
A bios update should not wipe data off a hard drive. I don't know where you heard that, or who said that, but they were obviously misinformed. The bios belongs to the motherboard, and that alone. In fact, you can update the bios even if a hard drive is not installed (may depend on the bios letting you continue without a hard drive). What a bios update can do... is kill your motherboard if the update fails... this is why it's not recommended unless it will absolutely fix some issue with the motherboard or some other issue that may require the update. Windows XP should not require a bios update.

only because after I did a recovery, the emachine was stuck in the recovery loop

Not sure what's happening with this "loop". Can you give more details?

I understand that I should advise against the future purcahse of emachines.

Yes, I agree with you 100%!