Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VMWARE WORKSTATION doesn't install windows XP

• Please log in to reply

ncool4u

ncool4u

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there !!
I am using windows vista, home premium, but due to driver unavailabilty I wanted to use windows XP. So, I installed VMWARE WORKSTATION 6.5.3 BUILD 185404. Now, whenever I try to install XP through bootable CD, I can't. The error message as shown below appears. I even wanted to installed through .iso image, but still the same error message
appears.

Operation on file "\\.\PhysicalDrive0" failed.
If the file resides on a remote file system, please make sure your network connection and the server where this disk resides are functioning properly. If the file resides on removable media, reattach the media.
Choose Retry to attempt the operation again.
Choose Abort to terminate this session.
Choose Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system

It aks me to either RETRY,ABORT or CONTINUE. Thre remainig two options do not work and I have to abort every time !!!

Can any one please help me ????

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You installed Wmware for what exact reason?

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I installed VMWARE so that I can use the XP OS along with VISTA, as the drivers are available in XP only for the engg. software I use....

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK. It's more clear now.
So, you start Wmware and you create new virtual partition to install XP on it, correct?
At what exact point of installation you're getting that error?

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The system tries to read the CD and within the a minute of starting CD reading, the problem arises. The software loads the CD, then when the message comes The setup is getting ready , the error comes. At the down of the software window the message comes Examining 305243 MB disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on Atpai... I can't read the whole messge.In the center of the window the main error message as I shown in my first post, comes....After aborting the final message comers as VMSTATION CAN NOT SYNC WITH DISK BEFFORE ABORT...The XP CD is not corrupted as I checked it in another computer as well..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I think, it has to do with your rather old Vmware product.
See here: http://communities.v...m/thread/236981 (from 2003)

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bro, I am sorry, if I sounded sooo dumb, but I don't get it. What's the problem's solution ??

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I believe, you need newer Vmware version. Currently, it's at ver. 10 and change.

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have installed VMWARE WORKSTATION 6.5.3 BUILD 185404, Which is the official version available, till the next version 7 is released in near future. Tell me I am confused. :) :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm sorry for your confusion. My fault :)
I'm not sure, where ver. 10 did come to my mind from....

Are you creating virtual partition, first, before trying to install Windows?

Advertisements

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes bro, I have already created virtual partition,but didn't have XP, SO I didn't install it. Now I am trying to install it....

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Now, I'm confused...

whenever I try to install XP through bootable CD, I can't. The error message as shown below appears. I even wanted to installed through .iso image, but still the same error message

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No bro, I mean that there are two ways to install, one through actual CD and the other thrugh iso image, if u don't have the cd. I thought there may be some problem in detecting the CD from cd drive, so I tried installing from the iso image as well....

I hope I have not confused you now..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm aware of two ways of installing, however from reading the link, I provided before, that error happens, when you try to install Windows on actual physical disk, not on virtual partition.
Read more here: http://communities.v.../docs/DOC-10455

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrray.. My problem is solved. Thanx a lot, I got the indirect hint from your question. I created a new virtual machine and I installed XP in the beginning (instead of later installation, I selected previously) and guess what ?? The thing worked nicely. I have installed XP without any problem.

So, I think that lies problem with VMWARE that U have to install OS in the beginning while creating virtual machine only... The problem comes when u select the option to install the OS later as I did !!!

Thanx a lot :) :)