Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive deleted and my computer files open in search, plea

• Please log in to reply

bobbyusa3

bobbyusa3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I hope there is someone out there that knows how to fix this otherwise im screwed. What happened was I was looking on the internet on how to fix a problem i was having with my computer folder. when i would double click files in my computer they would just open in the search folder so i followed someones directions that screwed me. they told me to do this.

1. Open Start>>Run and type cmd and press enter. This will open a command prompt window. On this command prompt window type the following steps.

2. type cd\

that didnt work so then i did this,

Click [Start] [Run] and type "REGSVR32 /i SHELL32" then press the Enter key.

after doing all that i restarted my computer and my external hard drive couldnt be found so i shut my computer down and got pissed and left it for 2 weeks. now im sitting here and I see I have a new drive in my computer folder named F: but my original external drive name was called free agent. I opened drive F: and theres nothing.

What im getting to is... Is there any way to get all my files back. And if you know how to fix my computer so my files dont open in search that would be great as well but im mainly concerned about my hard drive because everything I have was on that... I mean everything

Thanks to anyone that will help.

Advertisements