Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello,

My pc that currently I'm using has 80gb hard drive. It's relatively small. I'm planning to add it with 250gb or 500gb. The tower I have, doesn't provide a second hard drive tray. So I thought it's better to replace my primary hard drive.
But, I wonder, how can I transfer my Internal hard drive's data to another internal hard drive?
Can I temporarily move the data to an external hard drive then move it to the new internal hard drive? And would the windows load if I start up my computer with that new internal hard drive?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, basically you will need to perform a copy of the original drive to the new drive, the process is called "ghosting" the drive. It makes an exact image of it and then restores it to the new hard drive. You'll need specific software to complete this task, such as Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, Drive Image XML, and there are a few others as well.

Cheers

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello, Thank you for the reply.
My current hard drive has two partition. If I use Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to copy the data from my old hd to new hd, would it also create a partition? I heard having a partition on hd is bad, is that true?
I've ordered an HD from ebay, it's seagate. I heard that it's one of top class hard drive but I also heard that it's cheap and made from china. Did I make a mistake on choosing seagate? I was thinking to buy western digital but it was slightly more expensive that seagate.