Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop dead after inspecting it

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
So I have this laptop and the DC jack was messed up. Broken completely not really getting any power through AC, but not a problem off battery.

So I took it apart to basically right before I had direct access to the motherboard. I was just trying to see where the jack connected to so I'd know when I got the replacement jack. So I plugged all the components back in, put it all back together, and put the battery (it had a charge) and it doesn't start up. No signs of life at all. No lights, fans, nothing.

I tried two different batteries, but still nothing. I'd normally think maybe the board fried, except I didn't really do anything to the board. Like for the most part it was just pulling out a ribbon cable and than later reconnecting it. That was really the extent of it.

The only thing I messed with was the power jack. So I'm wondering what's going on? Maybe someone can throw alittle advice my way.

you think this problem will dissipate when I replace the jack? I'm thinking maybe there's a connection between me messing with the jack and it not turning on. Like maybe the jack and battery are in series or something. idk.

Anybody else's take would be appreciated.

Advertisements