Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

e-machine Et1810

• Please log in to reply

crazykats

crazykats

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i got my daughter a new emachine Et1810 at a store 45 days ago, the power supply quit working burned out 31 days talked to teck support they wanted me to send desktop to tx, i live in sc. It had a 250 watt power supply, i opted to have local computor shop to put in new power supply in it 400watt. it worked 1 week burned out. since i had a computor shop put it in i voided out warrenty....what could be burning out power supplys....she downloads movies off internet to watch..its back in shop....havent heard back....thought maybe one of you might know...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just my opinion here but I believe right out of the shop the pSU is not strong enough for the system.
Based on the components of the system and the fact that most pre-assembled systems use less the desirable PSU I would have to say the power supply should be upgraded to something more powerful.
Since you have voided your warranty at this point then you may want to consider a 500 watt psu.

crazykats

crazykats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it took 31 days for the 250 power supply to burn out, and only one week for the 400 power supple to burn out...doesnt make alot of sense to me that the 400 watt only lasted one week,,,i think it was a orion, or something like that the 400watt. was it just a bad model...and if i had a 500 put in and its the same brand. would it also burn out...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PSU's are like cars. There are good models and then there are bad models.
I would suggest a Corsair 500 watt model as thye have shown to be very reliable and have a steady 12 volt rail on them.
Also the models that most shops will have and use to replace with as in your case are usually lower end types.
I would also suggest they check the system even more to make sure there is no shorting out of components happening.
If a PSU actually BURNS OUT it will take other components with it.

crazykats

crazykats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
when i used the word burns out, i really mean on power to emachine. there was not burning smell. it did stop two days earlier, but she got it up and running again..then it stoped. hopefully it didnt do anything to the rest of computor. I did tell them to ck to see if there was a short somewhere in computor..that is causing the problem to begin with...that is way they are keeping it this time, its just driving me crazy..when you buy something new you expect it to work for more then 31 days...i have a older emachine that is 8 yrs old and its still working (windows me)..just cannt run road runner on it...the new emachine has Vista on it...dont like vista, should of got her one at walmart with xp..maybe i would of had better luck,,,any other replys would be welcome on this subject of power supply failure...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The PSU needs to be replaced with a known reliable brand and with enough wattage and amps on the 12 volt rail.
It sounds to me like the issue is a substandard PSU being used.
As I stated before most OEM brand systems (HP, Dell, Compaq, Emachines) will use a low brand of PSU. This helps with the cost of the system. In most cases it will function correctly but in those select cases as in yours the PSU is no good and has to be replaced. I am surprised my self that they only used a 250 watt PSU as 300 watts is the standard in most new systems. I myself wouldn't build a system with less then a 50 watt due to the power needs and expandability the new systems have now.

Just as a matter of information what did you pay for this system?
Did you give any thought to maybe building one yourself?
It is not as hard as you might think and GTG has a system building forum where we could help with suggestions of parts and assistance with building.

crazykats

crazykats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
got it with a 18.5 lcd moniter, for 300.00, 2gb, 160gb hardrive, multi in one digital media reader, intigrated nvidia geforce 7050 graphics. she likes to download and watch anime movies. shes on the internet about 6 to 8 hrs. sometimes just chating...sounded like a good machine to do that, you would think right.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good price for the system.
Not sure what you mean by

she likes to download and watch anime movies

because if she is doing P2P this could open the system up for a serious infection.
For the specs you just posted that PSU was not powerful enough for the system.
Please let us know what they discover as I am curious if the PSU itself is the problem here.
I believe it is and since there was no electrical burn the system should be ok.
It could be just a faulty PSU again.

crazykats

crazykats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
animee is a cartoon, she goes to several sites to watch some older ones she doesnt have on dvd's she has, or newer ones she hasnt been able to buy yet. she just loves these cartoon's she has even made herself a web site...(i cannt even make a web site). so she spends alot of hrs watching these cartoons....she did say when the old psu was in machine, she didnt hear the fan running, when the computor shop put in the new psu, she heard the fan running loudly at all times. Ive read must of other post on psu's and one person had his put in wrong, and it stoped,,,(fan in wrong direction). i didnt ck it before i took it back to see. hopefully they can fix it...will keep you posted on outcome..and i did warn her on infections from sites she goes to..hopefully she wont get one..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good she sounds like a good kid.
PSU in wrong will create a overheating issue also.
Please let us know as this seems like a failed PSU for sure.

crazykats

crazykats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
got the machine back to day, they put in another new 400watt power supply (same brand), they said they cked maching didnt see any thing else wrong. when i got it home i opened it to see how this one was put in...seems this power supply has a fan on ends, one end facing the front of computor and one facing rear of computor,,,so i quess there is no wrong way to put it in..with the fan facing the metal of computor...so that wasnt the reason the other one quit..my daughter started it up...she said this time she could barely hear the fan running..(the last 400watt made loud fan noise). so maybe we just got a bad power supply from the repair place....lets cross our fingers, and hopefully this one will be good. and there is no more problems. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be a fan on the inside that sucks air in from the system. The one on the outside blows the air out of the system. This keeps the system cool then.
From the description it does sound like you had a faulty PSU unit.
Please let us know how everything works with the new PSu installed.
We will monitor for your reply.