Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

c:\windows\system32\config\system.sav is missing

• Please log in to reply

dhook45

dhook45

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have been having issues with viruses and trojans, that had taken over my administrator privileges. So I decided to try and do a repair from my bootin disc. When it ws finished it told me that my c:\windows\system32\config/system.sav was either corupt or missing. I was able to do some repairs, I am now getting a countinues reboot. Please help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get into safe mode?
If so then:

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

If not then can you tell us what virus you have had or have?
Do you have a Genuine Original Microsoft XP installation disk or is it a copy?
Is this a brand name or clone system?
Make and model please.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The trojan that I had was window police pro. I was able to remove it with malewarebytes and spy sweeper. I was still having isssue with admin privileges. I do have HP dv8000 and I do have a original windows xp bootdisc.

I am able to go into safe mode, the issue there is that it does not have a start menu. Unable to acsess any files. I am running a chkdsk /r at this time. I do have a recovery console.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Can I run a repair using the boot disc and still save my file and folders. I tryed this and it came up with c:\windows\system32\congig\system.sav is corupt or missing. I wanted to load windows XP I just wasnt sure if i should do this or not. Afraid of lossing all my files.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
XP bootdisk or XP installation disk?
There is a difference.
Is this a upgrade or full version?

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
XP installation disc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then let's do a Repair Installation and see if it will replace and fix any corrupted files.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
A emergency has come up and I will have to go and take care of it. I will do what you recommend as soon as I get back. A couple of hours.

Thanks for your help.
Dhook45

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem as life is more important. We will be here
Good luck and I hope everything is ok.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry for the interruption yesterday. Here is what I have come up with. I ran the repair as requested and I get a error on the blue screen, message asking me to contact my administrator.

I also ran a chkdsk /p on bothmy my drives c: and d: they are booth clear with no issues. My computer at this time is just doing a continues boot.

Again thanks for your help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What error message did the BSOD give if any?

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I dont remember. I will run it again right now.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Error

Setup cannot set the required windows xp configuration information. This indicates an eternal setup error. Contact your system administrator.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tryed to boot up in safemode. "error" widows cannot run in safemode. Setup will restsrt now.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Okay Just tried it aagain and we are back to the original "error" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or crrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system.sav