Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Shuts Down on its own

• Please log in to reply

gaurav

gaurav

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi every1,

i had bought a new pc in october 2004. itz a p-iv 2.4 ghz with 90 gb hard drives (80+10), 256 mb ddr ram , intel motherboard with onboard AGP, sound and lan card.

it worked fine until one month when it started shutting down by itself. and by that i dont mean a proper shutdown. itz as if u have pulled out the power plug. gone in a second. ahhh....it jus drives me crazy. i'm doing an online course and when the need the pc most, it doesnt work.

and then u have to wait for some time until it starts again. again u never know when would it shut down. sometimes it wud be less than 1 minute and sometimes 3-4 hours.

i called a computer repairer like last month. he put in a new fan (now i have 3 fans) to eliminate the cooling problem. he also changed the RAM. but still the problem persisted.

next he changed the power supply (the power box in the pc tower with all the wires). the computer worked all good for one month but now again it is back to itz old woes!!! can anyone help??

one thing to notice is first when i bought the pc with a new power box, no problem for 1 month and when the guy replaced old one with a new power box, the new one also lasted a month without any problems.

another thing which mite be important is that my computer usase in minimum 10 hours daily (yes that is 10!!!) and it extends upto anything like even 18-20/per day.

thanks
waiting for ur reply
take care yall
bye
gaurav

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It does sound like its the psu (power supply) again, you should call the tech who replaced it and explain just what you did here because the psu that he installed should have a warrenty. If these are cheaper psu's that are being installed that would explain it and you should ask the tech to upgrade it to a better one but if your area is prone to power problems caused by the utility that supplies your power you may want to consider purchasing a UPC (unintuptible power supply), this could help to keep the psu's from going bad.

If you are somewhat familar with computer hardware and not afraid to open your case we can explain how to replace the psu and what kind to recommecnd.

Rick

gaurav

gaurav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi rick,

thanks for the quick reply.

for ur info, i already have a 600v UPS hooked onto the pc.
the psu says intel make on it.

however one thing to note is yestersay i visited a couple of sites to check my power usage (of all computer compnents) it came to around more or less 280 W and my psu is 300 W. however these were not perfect sites with everything listed. do u knw any site which would have all makes and models.

thanks
bye

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok using the ups is good and eliminates one possibility.
Using wattage calculaters from web sites is a good idea to make sure you are not underpowerd but there is much much more to the psu, having enough amps is another consideration but I assume as a shop installed it they would no enough to check the amps the system requiers.

In your case it seems you have a flaky psu and there is no way to test a flaky psu because the readings taken during testing look good and according to spec but every once in awhile the psu drops voltages on one of the rails thus causing your problems.

I would change the psu to a name brand such as Antec true 430w.

This could be something else but with the issues and symptoms you have had before and the fix being a new psu this is what I would change first.

A good name brand psu and your ups will assure no more problems in the future at least with the psu

another thing which mite be important is that my computer usase in minimum 10 hours daily (yes that is 10!!!) and it extends upto anything like even 18-20/per day

That is also not the cause of problems I have machines running 24/7 and many others do to

Rick