Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this sims fansite safe?

• Please log in to reply

sokka

sokka

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi, I want to download the The Sims Workshop 0.8.7 from The sims Resource. The reviews are all good but I have read somewhere that someone got a virus by downloading from this site. The main reason I am suspicious is that this program clearly took a lot of time and money to create, yet it is availible for free download. Does anyone know if this site is virus free and this program is OK to download? Thanks
PS. This is a fansite, it is not made by EA so will it ruin my Sims 3 game?

Edited by sokka, 24 October 2009 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Version 0.8.7 is listed on the site as being a Beta.
All third party software for a complicated game such as Sims 3 is potentially capable of screwing things up.
This site has been around for 10 years, if it was really distributing virii it would have gone before now.

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
So Should i download it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue is not if we believe the site is safe or not but if you feel like it is.
As Neil explained the site has been around for 10 years which in this industry is a long time.
We cannot advise you to add a piece of software that is not directly made by the manufacturer of the original game.
The decision is yours to make as we cannot guarantee the safeness of the software.
We can advise you if you do to make sure to scan the file before using it to make sure it is clean.
Good luck with whatever decision you make and let us know as other gamers may have the same question and your decision could help them with making the decision also.