Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network thinks DOC & XLS are HTML (and won't open them)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Viridel

Viridel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Fairly new issue, and formatting the machine didn't help! (regularly scheduled format, didn't do it just for this).

When I try to open an XLS (Office 2003 / WinXP x64) thru the network, it appears to be trying to install something for a brief moment, then pops up with "Could not open 'http://Viridel/FileShare/yadda/yadda/yadda.xls' [OK]

Then when hitting [OK];

Cannot access the file 'http://(as above)' There are several possible reasons:
- The file name or path does not exist (yes it does, I can open other files on that same path, and if I copy the file locally, it opens perfectly)
- The file is being used by another program (no, it isn't, and even if it was, Excel would just open a Copy with a Save As option)
The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook (nothing is open, so strike three)

I'm sure the issue lies with the fact that it's trying to open the file via HTTP, as that is what jumps out as being illogical in the error message.

For Word, I get the exact same error, then the document opens just fine (in DOC format) when I hit OK.

Edited by Viridel, 24 October 2009 - 10:25 PM.

Advertisements

Viridel

Viridel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Question copied to Applications->Office, but unable to terminate this thread.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a topic with the same issue in the Office forum.
That is the best place for this issue.
This topic will be closed here to allow the assistance to be given in the correct forum. Thank you for your cooperation.