Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply

bh115577

bh115577

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not that good with computers. Could really use some help. I got a copy of vista that was supposed to be good and turned out to be bootleg and now the computer is pretty much locked up. I want to erase everything and put my recovery discs in and start over but it won't let me. I start up and F8 my way in to safe mode with command prompt and try to put in C:\<WINDOWS>CD so as to get to the HDD clean and work my way through from there but every time it comes up access denied. Any ideas???

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello bh115577.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Please post your system make and model.
Is this a name brand system?
You say you have a recovery cd. Being that the case then what you would need to do is change the boot sequence in your bios so that the system will read the cdrom first. To do this follow the next steps and make sure your recovery cd is in before you Save and Exit the bios.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
[list]
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.

bh115577

bh115577

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the help. It is a HP with XP pro and vista and we were told it was a good copy of vista but that turned out to be a lie. Anyhow it is fighting with me so I want to go to the way it was when we bought the computer. I'm going to go try your fix now and will post back how it works. Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

we were told it was a good copy of vista but that turned out to be a lie

Copy?
It wasn't a Genuine XP disk?

bh115577

bh115577

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Not sure if any of it is good, guessing everything he installed was bad. I have the original disc from when we got the computer. I tried what you said to do and it just rebooted without getting me into the bios area. I must be doing something wrong. The other guy did the install and not sure about anything he did. I won't go back to him again. Any other thoughts???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a HP system if I read correctly?

Try tapping the
F8, F10 or F12 key when you first turn on the system.
There is a key combination that will allow you into the bios.

bh115577

bh115577

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you. will try the f10 and f12 now. have been using the f8 for my first tries and no luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try F2 also :)

bh115577

bh115577

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Got it working and didn't have to drive the truck over it to get it done. Thanks for the help. Your the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear.. So is it doing the recovery now?
Let me know if there is anything I can assist with.
This topic will remain open in case you need more assistance.