Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Double Click Does Not Work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Johny90

Johny90

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello guys

The problem is, that double click does not work on my windows XP machine. I've had this problem for quite some time, and it seriously bothers me!
I've tried just about all thing i can think of, including removing the mouse in device manager, and letting it find and install it from scratch. I have also tried altering the "double click time" in control panel.

Im using WinXP.

I really Appreciate all help you can give, and i really really hope, that this can finaly be solved.

Thank you!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Does it never work, or does it work sometimes? Have you tried a different mouse, or a different type mouse, like usb?

Johny90

Johny90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have tried with different mice, yes, so that's definately not the problem. also i have tried with both the touchpad, that doesn't work either.

I've noticed that im able to open pictures i receive in msn by double clicking them, that really makes me wonder why it doesn't work with icons and the such.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm, not really sure what the problem could be. You might try to run chkdsk /r to see if Windows can resolve the problem.

Just go to Start>run... type in chkdsk /r, then click ok. You will get a warning that chkdsk can't run at the moment. Just confirm "Y" to run it at next startup. It may take a while to complete, so just be patient and don't interrupt it.

There are many hits on Google for this problem. Without having the machine in front of me, it's very difficult to determine what could be causing it. The fact that you can open some things and not others points to an application being a problem, and not hardware. You might try reading a ton of posts on Google to see if something hits home.

You didn't state what kind of machine you have, but judging from the your post about a touchpad, it seems this a laptop. If so, you might try updating the Synaptic touchpad driver to see if it's corrupted and interfering with your regular mouse.

Johny90

Johny90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The thing is, i know there are a ton of options on google, and i've been trying literaly them all over the past week!!

Those 2 specific ideas you've come up with, have i not tried yet tho, i'll give it at shot, and let you know if everything turn out fine!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

The thing is, i know there are a ton of options on google, and i've been trying literaly them all over the past week!!

This is why it's very difficult to help someone in a forum environment... there is no way to tell what the OP has already tried. This is why we sometime link/suggest Google.

Johny90

Johny90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

This is why it's very difficult to help someone in a forum environment... there is no way to tell what the OP has already tried. This is why we sometime link/suggest Google.

Oh, im sorry, i didn't mean to be rude, this is just so very frustrating!
Sadly im not at my work laptop right now, i'll try to get our tech-dpartment to hook me up with those drivers tommorow, and i try the chkdsk /r aswell.

I'll let you know how everything turns out, thanks for your effort!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Oh, im sorry, i didn't mean to be rude, this is just so very frustrating!

I didn't take your comments as "rude", so no apologies necessary. :) I was simply stating the fallacies of forums, so no worries. Yah, I know how frustrating it can be, that's why many of us volunteers are here. Let me know how it goes... there may be a Windows repair in your near future, so you might think about backing up your important data.

By the way, if this is a work computer you're having problems with, the the IT department is responsible to fix it. GTG is not here to replace your IT department and it's so stated in the Terms of Use.

Johny90

Johny90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The so called "IT-department" is the one at work who keeps the installation CD's, he knows no more than me, it just seemed easier to say IT-department than explain that. It is actually my work computer, and though we're a small company of 6 people, i understand if it is against you policy to help me.

If, however you still intend to try and help, i can say that i have tried both your solutions, but it did not work :)

Im so confused about what could be the cause of this.

Ps. I it's against you'r rules to help me further, please let me know, so that i can keep on trying to find a solution myself.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Ps. I it's against you'r rules to help me further, please let me know, so that i can keep on trying to find a solution myself.

Unfortunately, I'm not the one to determine if I can help or not. Even if I wanted to, I'm not allowed to do it. The TOU is firm on this and it's up to your IT department to fix whatever problem you're having. I can't deviate as I've closed several topics (one quite recently) for the same reason and it wouldn't be fair to play favorites. I hope you understand that it's nothing personal. I work for a large Aerospace company myself, so I know how difficult IT can be. Get on your IT department as this is what they get paid for.

This topic is closed.