Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My cd drive wont burn cds or read them HELP PLS!

• Please log in to reply

bboychico

bboychico

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Can anybody help me, My computer has 2 cd drives. The top one where i burn cds doesnt want 2 work nomore. i use 2 put a blank cd in it and it would open by itself but now it doesnt do that either. It also use 2 read cds with data in it but it doesnt work nomore. i bottom drive works good but its only 2 view dvds and data cds. oh and also when i but a cds in the top drive it a makes a werid sound, i was thinking it might be the laser or something. iam not sure i really need help with . its been getting on my nerves so can someone pls help. ;)

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i would say it is probably dead try going to my computer right clicking on and see if it is enabled and auto play is on

bboychico

bboychico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey hudihoo i dont know that much in computers but i did what u see and it was enabled and auto play is on. Is there anything esle u might think is wrong with it

bboychico

bboychico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

i would say it is probably dead try going to my computer right clicking on and see if it is enabled and auto play is on

View Post

hey can u pls help me it saids it enabled and it is working good. when i put in a blank cd i can hear like a clicking sounds like its having trouble reading the cd, could it be the laser, i really want this 2 work, any hwlp would help any body i could call 2 get it fixed, pls well thanks for anybody that helps

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it is probably dead if you don't want the dvd player built in you can get just a regular cd burner for around 20 or 30 dollars maybe even cheaper after rebates at office max. If you need help putting it in just reply if you get one and i will tell you what to do

bboychico

bboychico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

it is probably dead if  you don't want the dvd player built in you can get just a regular cd burner for around 20 or 30 dollars maybe even cheaper after rebates at office max. If you need help putting it in just reply if you get one and i will tell  you what to do

View Post

ok that sounds good, thanks alot. :tazz: ill have 2 go and buy one , and then ill reply again so u can show me what 2 do but more one ?, u said if i didnt want the dvd bulit in, what do u mean i have 2 cds drive, so would i still have 2 use the dvd one

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
make sure if it came with a cd thaty you install teh drivers...

Nixx

bboychico

bboychico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey hudihoo i went 2 go get the cd burner but i dont know how 2 open my cpu, i cant find any srews or buttons 2 press so it will open, can u help me with this 2 thanks

Edited by bboychico, 26 May 2005 - 10:52 AM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
heh, prebuilt, eh? what year, I just opened one that took me about 20 minutes with a pliers and several screwdrivers...

Nixx

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
bboychico what kind of computer if it is compaq on the back about half way up and right on the edge there is a screw doesnt exactly look like screw it is bigger. unscrew that and the side you can slide off. HP will be similar. Dell there should be a bump at the top just push down or slide back depends on the model and that will pop off the side then push the green thing down on top and the front will come off giving access to the cd drive. If your computer isn't listed tell me what you have.Or if you can't open i may need a picture. But if you can open reply and i will tell you how to setup the cd drive and actually put it in.

bboychico

bboychico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah i got it open its the one u side off, but theres another problem when i tried 2 take off the drive and unjook the stuff that was connected 2 it but it will only side half one and get stuck , any tips

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you need to take off the front as well. i assume compaq because of how got side off. so inside the front cover there should be 2 green buttons to push. and one on top. There should be diagrams then you slide it out through the front. One you reconnect all the wires to the new one (IF YOU HAVE 2) you need to put one as master and one as slave. On the back of the cd drive there is a wide connection port where you plug in the wide gray cord next to it there is where you change