Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem for 2 weeks str8....Loading PBR......Done screen

• Please log in to reply

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hey folks I'm having a slight problem my laptop *a Dell Inspiron 6000* *running Windows XP Home w/SP3* will not go past the "Loading PBR......DOne" screen it has been doing this for 2 weeks now I haven't been able to load my computer AT ALL since then it just goes there and stall each and every time I left it on 1 day for 16 str8 hrs. and it never got off of the screen plz help it sucks having to drive to school everyday and use the comp's in the computer lab!! :)

Advertisements

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
hmmmm no help on this topic as well I see...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello BlkTebow.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
My laptop didn't come w/ a recovery disc or any other disc I bought it back in 06'

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then we can do this another way.
What we need to do is to run the chkdsk /r command.
Can you borrow a friends xp home edition to just be able to run this?

The PBR is the Partition Boot that is messed up.

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
none of my friends have it I've asked before my comp even messed up but give me til tom. and I'll get trust me...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we will be here till the end good or bad. :)

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
awesome I've mangaged to get a disc hopefully I can get through all of this soon! I'll let you know the results

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thanks for the update and we will monitor this topic for your results.

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hey Shaffer good and bad news I got my comp up and running to it's previous state here's the deal I don't have an anti-virus on here AND it will NOT let me go and download a free online scanner b/c I get redirects EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are getting redirected online?
Where is it redirecting you to?
What page?

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
here's 1:

http://www.stopzilla...l...72&cid=1004

it's like everytime I try to go to an antivirus website it does it every time

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go back to your Malware topic HERE
PM Transcience and ask him to reopen your topic.
It seems you may have a browser hijack or redirect virus.
Please be patient as those Techs are extremely busy and it may take a day or two for them to respond.
I believe the only problem now is the infection you still have.
Please add a link to this topic so he can see what we have done here. I'll watch here for your return and results.

BlkTebow

BlkTebow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yah that's what I figured schaffer I'm getting all the malware type things now and all kinds of stuff popping up about worms and all

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is what I was afraid of. We are dealing with a infection so everything we do is getting wiped out by the infection.
Go through malware forum and have Transcience go thru your logs and run some deeper scans and once that is done then we can continue.