Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue Screen/reboot with certain programs

• Please log in to reply

Kyomi

Kyomi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
This error is extremely easy for me to repeat; the only problem is no matter what setting I know of to set, I can't stop the pc from rebooting immediately once it gets the blue screen.

I've recently updated to windows 7 from Vista (upgraded, had problems.. then clean install) and whenever I try to author a dvd from video files to get ready to burn, it will always blue screen me.
At the moment I've tried DVDFlick (open source) and Nero Vision and it happens in both. This problem was still happening in Vista too, although after some research I saw it could be caused by a faulty processor unit which I REALLY hope isn't the problem.

I've uploaded a file from CPUID CPU-Z (KYUUKETSUKI.txt) that has my system specs in it.

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

<snip>... whenever I try to author a dvd from video files to get ready to burn

When you say "author", are you saying it crashes when you're doing menus and such, or when it's encoding? If it's during encoding, I would think your CPU is overheating.

You might try running Speedfan and have it monitor your temps as you're encoding.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
After I've told it the way I want menus and all. When it's encoding it crashes... but that is the only time it does. I could have world of warcraft up for 6+ hours and it'll be fine.. as soon as I want to encode a dvd it crashes.

Thanks for your reply, I'll get on that Speedfan suggestion.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Video encoding is much more strenuous on the CPU than gaming. Check the options in the encoding program to see if you can change the CPU processing preferences.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Sorry for the long wait... I just got that SpeedFan program and it looks very useful but I understand there is some setup involved in it and it goes through things I'm not sure what to do. For example, I have no clue what a standard/nominal temperature is for my machine/CPU/Case. There is no config file available for my type of motherboard and I have sent them a message about it. I haven't tried encoding another file yet but I have noticed something else strange... probably unrelated.

When I open up firefox in windows 7 (I have ultimate version), every once in awhile I'll click a link from an english site and it will show up a bunch of asian characters which I think are chinese. I have no idea why it's doing it or what the characters say. The only way to get to the page after that is to go to google translate and have it "translate" the page and it doesn't even matter what language I choose. Also... now the "Arial" font is by default italic in Winamp and turns to bold in Firefox (Arial I believe is the default font.) I've done virus/ad/spy/malware checks and it comes back with nothing. Any Ideas? Thanks again

Edited by Kyomi, 30 October 2009 - 11:17 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I don't use Windows 7, but in XP, you need to go to Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>Language and install files for East Asian Languages. You may need your OS disk.

As for speedfan, post a photo of the screen that shows the temps. You might post both... while encoding and while not encoding.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I fixed the issue with the Asian characters, it was actually the page encoding that was set to UTF-16 and I changed it to Western (ISO (numbers) ) and it's fixed.

I think it is actually overheating.. it seemed alright to begin with after about 2% when I took the pics but then I went to heat up some food and came back to the login screen. No error message, no blue screen, no minidump or anything. Here are the pictures, the first (left) is without encoding, and the second (right) is after it's been encoding a bit.

There is some setup involved to get the Temp listings correct and the the temperature ranges correct but I didn't know where to set them even after following a guide. Whatever temp 3 this I need to get some more cooling on. It's very low to start and then when I start encoding it got as high as 105C which is WAYYYY too high. Any idea how I can find out? ^^;

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg
  • encoding.jpg

Edited by Kyomi, 01 November 2009 - 08:47 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sheesh... Speedfan is reporting crud for voltage measurements! According to CPUID you're running an ASUS Crosshair II Formula. You may be better off installing ASUS PC Probe II either from you installation CD, or go HERE to grab it. PC Probe can monitor your motherboard temps and voltages and actually tell you what is what.

Yes, 105C is way to hot... run the PC Probe app. By the way, did you install an after market CPU cooler or are you using stock?

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
As far as I know it's after market put on at the company where I order the PC.
According to the invoice it's Asetek 120MM Watercooler. I think I've figured out the issue with the blue screen but I'd like to continue this to see if I can get the other bluescreens to stop now. I think the reboot was because the system was getting too hot. I had the multiplier at 15x (3.0Ghz about) and I just put it down to 13x and then back to 14x (a bit above 2.8Ghz) and it encoded fine without any crashes. One of the things that kinda worried me was the voltage... it's an aftermarket 1000watt PSU. The -16 something volts on the -12v and the ~4.00v on the 5v seems a bit... off. I'm installing the probe right now and decided to try and download the chipset drivers from them and install those, unless you think the ones I got from nvidia's site are better and I should keep those.

EDIT: After installing the PC Probe II from the link you gave me and loading "default" settings which puts the MB at a "normal" temp of 45C and it's at 57C right now. Although, I'm not really sure how to get it lower other then trying to somehow get the case fans to speed up. Although I've got little LEDs up and down the MB in the N/SB area, one by the CPU and one by the RAM(?). All together there are 4 of them and they are supposed to be a "fail-safe" temp gauge and they are all green which is good.. right?

EDIT again: I was just thinking, there was a program that nVidia had that would let you control the fans on your video cards.. I'm wondering if turning those up a little bit would help things.. I've got dual 280 gtx's so that's another two fans I could be using... or is it better to get another fan or something? Help ^^;

Edited by Kyomi, 02 November 2009 - 01:42 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If your machine is water cooled, then there is no way your temps should be this high. It's possible that since you purchased the machine, (instead of building it yourself), the CPU cooler may have separated slightly from the CPU during transport. I would contact the computer manufacture for assistance as I don't have a clue how to do maintenance on your cooler. 45 and 57 degrees are warm for air cooled machines, but for water cooled... I would think something is definitely up with this.

How are the voltage readings using the Probe II software? Are the voltages read correctly now or are they still messed up? If they're messed up, then something might be wrong with the PSU. The circled voltages are those in question. Does Probe II even show these voltages?

As for the Nvidia software, I think you're somewhat mistaken about what it does. No software can cause the GPU fan to spin faster than it's capable of spinning. The only thing software can do is cause the fan to react more quickly to temp changes. With that, I'm unfamiliar with this particular software. Besides, I don't believe this is related to your problem.

As for adding case fans, it wouldn't hurt, but then again, it's not the problem. You have a CPU cooling problem and adding fans or software won't cure it. Call the manufacture for assistance, state the temps you're seeing, and ask what can be done about it.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I don't see anything for the negative voltages, it shows the positive for the 12/5/3.3v which all seem to be inline and the only temp that it shows that is a "warning" is the MB temp. I know that the BIOS has an option to check voltages, I could check there and see.

I had just started this machine up today and it was fine for the first minute then the MB got up to 48 in like 3 mins along with the CPU temp. My PC should still be under warranty, I got it last year for xmas, I'll give them a call tomorrow when I have more time and ask them whats going on with the temps.

What I was saying with the nVidia software was that the fans on the two GPUs only seem to be running about 40% most all the time and I could bump them up to 50% to see if it helps any.

Right now after it being on for about 15 mins the MB temp is up to 51C and the CPU seems to jump from about 45-46C to 50-51C.

Here is a pic of the program and what it reports:

Attached Thumbnails

• probe.jpg

Edited by Kyomi, 02 November 2009 - 11:21 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The motherboard temp is due to the PWM circuitry. This PWM circuit is responsible to regulate/switch the incoming supply voltages. When there's high demand on the supply voltages/current, the regulators will get hot, and thus the motherboard temp goes up. This is normal, and things like encoding or overclocking will tax this circuit due to CPU usage. On newer motherboards you’ll notice that many manufactures have added heatsinks and cooling to the PWM regulators… for good reason. It would help immensely if you can add some case fans to help cooling inside the case.

As for the negative voltage readings with Speedfan, I wouldn’t worry about it, as it’s probably just something funky with Speedfan.

Regarding your vid cards. They're meant to regulate temps, so if the fan is only spinning at low speed, then it means they're running cool and you needn't worry about it. You can try to monitor the GPU temps with GPU-Z... very handy utility.

I still think you're running hot for water cooled.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I do have off tmw, so I'll poke around inside the case and if I can't figure it out I'll give cyberpower a call to see whats going on. Although as of now I reverted all the bios settings to default, except for the few with fan warnings on CPU since it's watercooled, so there is absolutely no overclocking at all and the temps didn't really change. The CPU went from about 51C to 48/47C and the MB went from 51C to 48/49C. Yeah.. somethings definitely up. I'll keep it here just to protect things till I can figure it out.

It's probably unrelated but when I first started the pc up after I got back in from work it just hung in the POST and the LED Poster was stuck on DET IDE. Pressed restart button and it then changed it to default.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok. Let me know how it goes. I'll monitor the topic till you get back.