Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my 'Gaming' PC

• Please log in to reply

Henry7212

Henry7212

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Was looking around and found it, heres the everest report, I know it says windows XP only because windows 7 hasnt come yet, my problem is that Aion only runs on high settings only around 20fps, 4 or 5 once I go to the well populated areas, even if I turn all my settings to low I can break around 30 fps leveling, but still 4 or 5 in populated areas.
Another thing I've noticed is that my computer overheats a lot, so I've been looking into a new case with more fans since I usually have it running all day and all night when downloading things, and what makes it hard is I don't know what will work with the items I have. I'd like to know which to upgrade, my video card, processor, or mother board. I don't really know what works with my system and how to tell which is better from a technical standpoint.

These are what I was looking at, and I think I need a SLI enabled motherboard and I know my current video card is... so does that mean I wouldnt need to buy a high end card, I would just need a regular one to put out the performance of a 9600+ vid card?
http://www.tigerdire...mp;sku=B52-9816
http://www.tigerdire...u=CP1-DUO-E8200

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer 945GZT
Generator Henry
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-10-27
Time 13:24

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name 945GZT
User Name Henry

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D, 3333 MHz (25 x 133)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 2048 MB
BIOS Type AMI (08/13/07)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (1024 MB)
Monitor NEC LCD1512 [15" LCD] (38507618GA)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA VT8237A/8251 High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
IDE Controller VIA Serial ATA Controller - 5337
Disk Drive Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 (931 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-117 (16x/40x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 953867 MB (467412 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter (192.168.1.104)
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Peripherals:
Printer hp psc 2200 series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #4
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

Edited by Henry7212, 27 October 2009 - 03:06 PM.

Advertisements

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
bump

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate, your whole system is very basic. Is this a bulk-manufactured system? (i.e. HP, Compaq, Dell?) Make and model if you please.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It was a kit bought off tigerdirect a year or two ago and my dad picked it up since he thought it was a nice deal, all I have upgraded is the video card and harddrive

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you please post the make/model of the motherboard? It's not listed there but you will find it printed on the motherboard itself.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Heres what I could find, wasn't really sure where to look but I got some numbers

N1669 MSI

P4M900M2-L
(I googled this one and it came up with some motherboards that looked like mine, but they are no longer on tigerdirect)

VT8237A
0728CD

MS-7255 Ver: 2.1

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep, you sure found it.

It is the MSI P4M900M2-L, found here:

http://www.msi.com/i...mp;prod_no=1566

Okay so it's going to be a limiting factor, according to the CPU support page, about the best CPU this motherboard supports is this. What's your budget for these upgrades?

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
My budget is around 250-300, I'll probably have a little more after the next couple months. If I need a more up to date motherboard so I have the option of buying better processors then I'll do that.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
My dad has a second video card which is the same as mine, I heard somethiing about SLI or crossfire that connects the two to make them work as one greater card, not sure if its true or not, but I would need a motherboard with two or more PCIe slots.

PS. If I were to have two video cards could I run a second monitor?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, if the cards are exactly the same and support dual cards, then it could work. SLI is for Nvidia cards, Crossfire for ATI.

Depending on the graphics card, you can run two monitors from one card.

Come back when you have the money ready to spend and we'll help you choose some parts. :)

Advertisements

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I think I'm ready now, or do you mean that 250-300 range wouldnt be sufficient enough to upgrade my computer to what I'm looking for? Suggestions for anything you think I need to upgrade for a good gaming experience I would appreciate, I would be able to buy some of them now and look back later on to see what else I need ( since christmas isn't to far away :) )

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So you're looking at new case, new motherboard, new CPU, new video card? Might as well throw in a new PSU as well, the new video card will likely warrant it, and depending on your current RAM specifications you may need matching new RAM as well.

Basically so far we're looking at a new computer, and we won't get very far with your current budget.

Download CPU-Z to see what RAM you have.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Type is DDR2, also a new case is not a must I just didn't know if it might be a problem, I found a fan and just slide off the side of my machine and have it running aimed at my harddrive. And since I have that second 8500 nvidia card how strong would it be if I combined the two with SLI? Also, lets say I raised the range from 500-600. Would I be able to just buy a new motherboard/CPU, connect my two video cards with SLI and be ok?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
500-600 would get a whole new decent machine, it would be a much better option.

There is no point running two 8500 cards in SLI, they aren't gaming cards and it would be rather poor in performance. Still, if you already have two it may be worth considering... The problem being an SLI-enabled motherboard.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Alright, I'll go for a new machine then