Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen and restart every few minutes

• Please log in to reply

robincdyer

robincdyer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, here's the history...
back in November of 2008 my laptop did a swan dive off the kitchen table while it was running. After that, it worked ok, but the hard drive was obviously dammaged, it took forever to save, load, and hibernate, and would occasionally lock up and crash. I ordered a new hard drive online, but the day after I received it in the mail, the computer completely fried and would no longer turn on. I took it to Geek Squad and they replaced the DC jack and the motherboard for a heafty price. After receiving it back, I then had a friend clone the hard drive and replace it. Then the cooling fan started making bad noises so I replaced that. It worked great for about 6 months, when it started blue screening and restarting every few minutes. I noticed a pattern that it seemed to happen the most if I touched it or pumped it or even adjusted the screen angle. I took it back to the Geek Squad and they ran some tests and said it was the hard drive. So I contacted Western Digital and they warranteed the hard drive and sent me a new one. I had the hard drive cloned again but the same problems persisted. My friend then re-installed xp, but same problems. Then he wiped the hard drive and installed linux. Same problems! So he cloned my old hard drive back on the new one and returned it to me bewildered. I then took the cover off of the memory and noticed that if I touched the memory with my finger while the computer was running, it would crash. So I bought a new memory card and installed it. It seemed to work great for the first day, but after that it started blue screening again. The only good thing was that I could move it and touch it without it restarting, but it seems to restart more often. It also seems to restart more frequently the longer it is running. If I turn it on in the morning, it's fine for about 30 minutes, then the blue screens start happening, until I can no longer start up to the desktop before it crashes. I let it sit for a while and the cycle repeats. The blue screens also seem to be a little different every time. Some I have been able to write down include stop 0x024, and before I replaced the ram I got stop 0x050 and stop 0x001 driver_irql_not_less_or_equal among others. I have also noticed that there might be a problem with my power cord, because my computer seems to work fine on a full battery, but as soon as the battery gets low, it crashes, and then if my computer is plugged in, it crashes. I have an extra power cord in storage somewhere, but it might take me a while to find it. Any ideas?

Advertisements