Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp 32-bit, XP Pro x64, or W7 64-bit?

• Please log in to reply

burnt_matches

burnt_matches

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I plan on doing a system build soon, and I'm picking an OS. I will be putting in 4gb RAM.

I use XP now, and I'm actually quite fond of it. I don't really feel a need to adjust and re-learn a new OS. I don't have anything against W7; I just like what I got.

I'm curious if 64-bit is worth the money and possible software/driver issues. I've read some pretty nasty things about XP x64. What is your take on it?

If I were to stick with XP 32, what disadvantages do you see beyond only using 3.5gb of memory?

I really appreciate your opinions.

Advertisements

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I used XP 64-bit for a long time, and enjoyed the added RAM functionality.

The problem however is some programs just. don't. run. - iTunes for example.

Windows 7 is super fantastic and everything works out of the box. It is extremely low footprint-wise and you won't be disappointed.

Apart from the 3GB limit, I don't believe there is much else different, end-user wise.

Deon :)

Edited by Deon, 27 October 2009 - 02:23 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows 7 64bit will see more then 3 gigs with no problem.
The functionality of win7 is alot better and with some versions they have included a XP compatibility mode.
A 32 bit OS will only see and utilize up to 3.5 gigs of memory. Since you are installing 4 gigs why not use a OS that will utilize it all?
I suggest Windows 7 64bit in either Home or Professional version.
The latter having the XP mode included.

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
It should also be noted (per here), that "XP Mode" requires a CPU that supports Virtualisation.

Not all CPUs do this.

You can check if yours does by running this official Microsoft tool :)

D :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I highly recommend running the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser before attempting an upgrade...it will alert you to any potential conflicts.

Older versions of iTunes should be uninstalled before upgrading to Windows 7, but the new version (9.0.1) installs and runs just fine. I've also seen some versions of McAfee causing problems during the upgrade process...I'd suggest uninstalling McAfee before upgrading, as well. Norton 360 apparently also has problems with Windows 7.

I have found very few programs that won't run under Windows 7 64 bit. Some older hardware won't run as the manufacturers do not plan on providing drivers. Again, the Upgrade Adviser will alert you to any hardware that won't work with Windows 7. 64 bit Windows 7 is a quantum leap ahead of Windows XP 64 bit and I really suspect that this will be Microsoft's last 32 bit operating system offering...of course, this is pure speculation on my part, but it sure seems to be the way things are headed.