Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I want to make a 10 gig partition on my computer for Ubuntu. The other 60 gigs will be for my already existing Windows XP Home. Is there any way I can make a partition right now, and then install Ubuntu onto that without having to reinstall Windows XP? I don't have the setup disk for XP so reinstalling it would not be possible.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what a dual boot is. Is that something where when you turn your computer on, you have the option of booting with either XP or Ubuntu?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
You do not have the two partitions yet, but you already have a running windows XP ?
That's going to be difficult then.
To partition your drive into two partitions you will have to remove the existing partition and then make two new ones. The data on the existing partition won't be accessible anymore.
Not through the normal fdisk tooks anyway, maybe there are some partition-tools outthere that do allow you to do what you want.

I haven't heard of them yet (but I've never had the urge to repartition my existing system because I usually break up my disk in several partitions, even if it's only going to hold one OS)

So... success :tazz:
Ojo

One little question though. Is that gnome I see on Ubuntu?