Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new windows 7 just purchased

• Please log in to reply

WOODBUTCHERKEITH

WOODBUTCHERKEITH

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Can I set up a dual boot between windows 7 and windows xp multimedia?
Can someone give me general procedures of what should be done and what order they should be done in?
I also want to set up two drives mirrored (raid) and a larger one for storage.
Should this be done before I set up windows 7 or can it be done afterwards?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

I have closed your other two topics due to them having the same inquiry. It's quite likely you never received a reply because no one here knows how to set up what you want. Posting three topics will not all of a sudden get you an answer.

I for one don't believe in running Raid on a home machine, so I really have no answers for you. I advise you do a search on Google and read what others, who are attempting the same setup, are trying. There's bound to be better answers gleaned off a Google search than here where no one is apparently paying attention to your topics. Win 7 is new, so searching Vista/Xp dual boot raid might give you some ideas.

makai

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome, would this be for a fresh install on both operating systems? Or would you want to keep the existing XP and migrate it to a new RAID setup?

WOODBUTCHERKEITH

WOODBUTCHERKEITH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am planning to format all discs and starting fresh . any help would be apriceated

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Please list all components you have in your machine, as well as what version of Windows 7 you have.

It might be a much better option to simply using Windows XP Mode from within Windows 7, I've been playing with mine the last few days and it's really good - it's basically a virtual machine, so you can have both. :) Your computer will need to support VM, though.

Cheers

WOODBUTCHERKEITH

WOODBUTCHERKEITH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If you think it is better I will give it a try. WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64
As far as the mirrowing goes I have (2) 150 gig drives WDC WD1500HLFS-016GU0 AND
A 1500 GIG DRIVE ST31500314AS . MOB P6T DELUX CHIP I7-920 3 GIG RAM TR3X3G1600C9G
ATI RADION HD4870 X2 2G GDDR5 AND ANTEC 850W POWER SUPPLY.
I HAVE BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO DO THINGS BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW STEP BY STEP WHAT ORDER TO DO THEM AND WHERE/WHAT DRIVES TO PUT THEM ON.
THANKS AGAIN ANY HELP TO STOP ME FROM HAVING TO DO THINGS OVER AND OVER TO GET THEM RIGHT.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
First up, do you have a RAID controller or are you using the onboard?

I'd suggest a hardware RAID controller if you can afford it.

First thing would be to backup all your data and store it elsewhere for this process. Next you would create the RAID 1 setup with the hard drives, and most likely create yourself two partitions - one for each OS. This will make it easier when following the guide. Install Windows XP on the first partition and get it up and running sweet, then head on over to the following link for the rest of it:

http://apcmag.com/ho...alled_first.htm

Note that if you create two partitions in the beginning, then you won't need to worry about that part in the guide. Also note I haven't actually followed this guide myself, however I can vouch for the credibility of the website as it is an Australian computer magazine that I purchase often.

Have a good read through it first and let me know what you think.

Troy