Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP sp3 - two new error messages at startup

• Please log in to reply

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hello. I am new to reformatting, and newish to computer maintenance in general.
Thanks in great part to this site, and the help of a few other sites and friends,
I am learning what I need to do to maintain my computer on my own. I have never
really paid much attention to updates before, but have been recently admonished
(by a heinous malware infection) for my lackadaisical approach to computer care.

So, I now have everything installed and almost caught up to where I was before...
With up-to-date drivers and malware protection. I just updated from sp2 to sp3...
And now I have my first set of error messages to decipher. What do these mean?...

AirGCFG.exe - Entry Point Not Found!
The procedure entry point apsSearchInterface could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll.

WZCSLDR2.exe - Entry Point Not Found!
The procedure entry point apsInitialize could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll.

Both have the button 'ok' with no other options or details, so I assume it is fine
to click 'ok' and carry on about my computing? Nothing else seems to have changed.
I just wonder/worry about these messages, what they mean, and what I need to do to
fix them. I think they both are related to my d-link wireless card/drivers? Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any time and advice offered to my question. Much appreciated.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
You're not alone with this. Quite a few hits on Google for the same errors. Since you're learning to do your own thing with your computer now, much of what we do ourselves involves Google searches. It should be included as part of your maintenance actions.

This is from a Google search of one of the hits...

Cause Of This Error

Windows XP SP3 introduces a new .dll file that is named Wlanapi.dll. This file is installed in the %WINDIR%\System32 folder. Certain device driver installations for some third-party wireless network adapters also install a Wlanapi.dll file in the %WINDIR%\System32 folder. If a third-party network adapter file is installed in this folder before you install Windows XP SP3, the Wlanapi.dll file that is associated with the network adapter is replaced by the file from the Windows XP SP3 installation.

Solution

To solve this issue, either download and install the latest device drivers for the wireless network adapter from the wireless network adapter's manufacturer website.

If installing the new driver for your Dlink doesn't solve the issue, I recommend you contact Dlink and let them know about this so they can update their drivers.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks for the Google. I did try to update my driver prior to posting my query; it did not work.

I used Google to find out that this was likely related to my wireless drivers; alas, I didn't do
a search for my specific problem. I will try for more complete and effective searches next time.

I will let D-link know that my attempt at a driver update did not fix this issue. Thanks again!

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 26 October 2009 - 11:52 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I did try to update my driver prior to posting my query; it did not work.

You didn't mention this, so I assumed you didn't try it.

Not sure what you can do, but contacting Dlink may or may not help. Hopefully it does. SP3 is known to cause certain problems with different machines... this is why I'm still at SP2. It's a personal thing, so I'm not recommending you not use SP3. Contact Dlink and if they can't resolve the issue, post back and we'll continue hunting (Googling!).

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Installed SP2 on a friends computer and the AirGCFG thing comes up every time also.

Reinstalled Windows recently and didn't have the disc, so I used a downloaded driver instead - works fine! :)

What model are you using? DWL-G122?

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanx! I am not married to using sp3; I almost decided not to install it.
My housemate assured me that updating to sp3 was something I should do...
Also, before my very recent reformat I was using sp3 without issue, so...
I don't see why it has error messages now that it didn't have before? >.<

The last time my computer was reformatted (by someone else), XPsp3 was
installed right from the beginning, before my D-Link or anything else.
I think I will try uninstalling and reinstalling D-Link, because I can't
think of anything else to try. I doubt that this is an urgent issue, as
I can apparently use my computer exactly as before, including the internet.
I was just hoping that there was some silly quick-fix that was eluding me.

Is there a 'better/best' way to uninstall/reinstall a driver? I don't want
to mess anything up by my attempts at fixing a seemingly harmless annoyance.

[BTW, when I tried updating my drivers, I used the method suggested by rshaffer61
system properties>hardware>device manager>update driver (right-click option) etc.
There is also a right-click option to uninstall the driver. I was going to uninstall
in that same window, but after reading so many posts about uninstallation issues of
various programs, I began wondering what process I should use, if I do uninstall it.]

So, I decided to ask about my little issue before making a possibly bigger issue, or
before doing anything excessive/unnecessary. I am sorry that I didn't give more info
or background to my initial post, my bad. I really do appreciate your taking the time
to goggle and to respond to my query. Truly, your google did tell me something I did
not know. I will message D-Link and spend some more time googling before I proceed.

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 27 October 2009 - 02:49 AM.

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

You didn't answer this.
If you can tell us what model the device is, we might be able to help you with drivers for the device :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There is no "best way to uninstall" that I know of. Just go through Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and you should be fine.

To add to what Deon has mentioned, Dlink does sometimes have different drivers for the same card. If you go to the Dlink page for your device, there may be different versions of drivers depending on the version of your card. Be sure to look at the label on the card and download/install the correct version driver. You may already know this, but I had to mention it.

I happen to also use Dlink devices (exclusively) as they're user interface is excellent compared to many other manufactures I've had experience with. I've had good luck with Dlink, so I tend to stay with them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
These methods are how Microsft suggests to uninstall SP3

Method 1: Use the "Add or Remove Programs" item in Control Panel

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
appwiz.cpl
3. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
4. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3, and then click Remove.
5. Click Finish to restart the computer after the removal process is complete.

Method 2: Use the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. When the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Removal Wizard starts, click Next.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP3.

Method 3: Use the System Restore process
Note Before you use System Restore, make sure that you have restarted the computer at least one time after you installed Windows XP SP3. By restarting the computer, you allow for any remaining servicing processes to finish.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
3. Click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
4. Click the date on which you installed Windows XP SP3, and then click Installed Window XP Service Pack 3 in the Restore Point box.
5. Click Next, and then follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP3

If after uninstalling SP3 and everything works fine for a day then you can reinstall SP3

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ron,
I don't think the OP was asking how to uninstall SP3. He was referring to uninstalling the Dlink driver. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh my mistake.. sorry not enough coffee this morning. :) :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No problem, perhaps the OP will consider this and follow your lead. Thanks for the assist! :)

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
*Hands rshaffer61 a cup of coffee, frills on the side* mmmmm Coffeeee ^_^

You didn't answer this.
If you can tell us what model the device is, we might be able to help you with drivers for the device :)

Sorry, I think it's a D-Link WDA-1320 Wireless G Desktop Adapter; that's what it says on the manual anyhow.
It says the same thing in Device Manager. I was about to uninstall and reinstall it right now. I'll let you
know how that works as soon as my connection is back and running. When I tried to reinstall w/o uninstaling
I get messages;"The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently
have installed," or,"Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features?" So
it just seems that the next thing to do IS to remove/uninstall and then reinstall the driver. Sounds simple.

HOWEVER...I am still not wedded to sp3, if there is a reason I should NOT be using it, I will just come back
to this thread and review the suggested removal procedures. I Really do thank you ALL for your assistance.
BIG THANKS ans COFFEE all around! ^_^ *crossing my fingers that I'll have good news to post in a few minutes*

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 27 October 2009 - 05:35 PM.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
*PheW*
Perhaps uninstalling it was not the best idea... several uninstalls/reinstalls later (three actually)
I concluded that the reason I could not connect to the internet was that a reinstalled D-Link did not
like sp3. So, I uninstalled sp3, reinstalled D-Link and HuzzaH! I can connect to the internet again!
(The whole process was further complicated by four windstorm power outages and a finicky modem.)

So, perhaps I will join makai in sticking to sp2? I may attempt to work it the way Deon did if I need
to install sp3 afterall; tho next time I will DL a driver BEFORE uninstalling a thing. Live and learn.

I was glad to hear that D-Link makes a good product; I was wondering. I didn't realize there might be
different drivers for the same card; I'll look into it. Thanks a bunch makai and Deon for the heads-up.

Turns out that I did use the info for uninstalling sp3 afterall, thanks again rshaffer61. You may have
been low on coffee, but as usual, you were right on for advice. You all rock, thanx for being geeks. ^.~

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 28 October 2009 - 12:43 AM.

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Happy customers make happy geeks :)

Glad to hear you got it (somewhat) sorted :)