Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP sp3 - two new error messages at startup

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Just so you know, I use SP2 because SP3 is incompatible with some of my programs. In fact, it completely kills my older Thinkpads, requiring a reinstall! I thought I was alone on the Thinkpad issue until it also killed my friends business Thinkpads too, and he had to reinstall 5 machines! I also use an older version 3rd party security firewall (Zonealarm) which won't play nicely with SP3 (or Vista, or Win7, for that matter). SP3 has many security fixes, along with some other stuff, so if you depend on XP to secure your computer, then you have to consider it. I recommend you pursue Dlink to see what they say about an SP3 driver... just in case you ever need it.

And yes, Ron, have some coffee! You're good with and without it! :)

Advertisements

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I was wondering if/why I needed sp3... I still don't entirely understand why it was useful beyond
the security updates? The nifty little self-promotion blurb seemed to tout sp3 as a pack made in
response to customer feedback to Microsoft? I didn't notice anything different (aside from the two
error messages, lol), and certainly nothing better. Do you know what it improves (security aside)?

I am not relying (much) on windows for my internet security, so I expect I can go without sp3? My
housemate insists that I should update to sp3, but I have read that many folks have opted to avoid
it; usually due to incompatibilities. I will contact both D-Link and Microsoft about this however; as
I have one more program to install that demands sp3. So, I either get sp3 working with my D-Link,
or I get a replacement for my current D-Link, or a different program that does the same basic thing.

It also sounds like I won't be rushing into Vista/Win7 either, as my games won't like those systems.
(If I can't play on my computer, I might as well word-process in pencil and info-search at a library.)

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 28 October 2009 - 08:05 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks guys and yes this morning I am already at a pot of coffee so I'm awake.
It's great to see the issue has been resolved but I agree with Makai on this. Contact D=Link and find out some answers.
D-Link will have to update or face loss of sales if their products will not work especially with Windows 7
Also with 64 bit OS system's set to become the mainstream of computers there is going to be a big push for manufacturers to fix the issues these older products have.
I'm happy to help and Makai as always it is great to assist you. :) :) :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I was wondering if/why I needed sp3

Many people wonder this exact thing. However, most users never question MS, and blindly allow automatic updates to just run amok! Bad move in my opinion! It's like allowing installation of any program without know what the heck is being installed... or why it's being installed! HERE's a list of what was "added" to SP2 to make it SP3. Go down the list and see if you have any problems with what these fixes are supposedly fixing. If you do, then you might need to install the fix. If you don't, then don't fix what's not broken! Some of what's on the list, you might not understand, but it's in pretty much layman's language so most of it you will. Also keep in mind that if you don't understand what you're reading, then you probably don't even use the function, therefore it's probably not broken, and doesn't need to be fixed. :)

I have one more program to install that demands sp3

This may or may not be true. Hunt around the web for people who have somehow found a way to run the program on SP2. It might even run in compatibility mode in SP2. Hard to say. Or, see if you can find what particular update the program is looking for, then only install that update. The web is a plethora of information just waiting to be discovered! On the other hand, you may not find anything to bypass SP3, so you may be stuck. I would hunt until the cows come home... or the moon turns blue... whichever comes first! :)

By the way, bookmark that page... it may come in handy one day.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Also keep in mind that if you don't understand what you're reading, then you probably don't even use the function, therefore it's probably not broken, and doesn't need to be fixed. :)

That reminds me of a fantabulous article I read in Wired Magazine recently on 'Good Enough Technology'.
I really think that by adding features we add things that can break (including ice makers on the fridge).
By adding more of what we don't need, we add the need for more maintenance that is a waste of our time.
I would really like to see software that offers its features in modules, along with updates for each one.
I would like to have the option to customize in a streamlined way; more is not always better, K.I.S.S.

ON similar note, I once saw a thread posted on this site asking what sort of dream video game we would want
to see made... My immediate thought was one that was tested and fixed sufficiently before release that it
didn't need a patch (or several patches) to work as expected. For example, NWN2 released an expansion pack
that wouldn't work with your game unless you used it with a pre-existing game. This meant that you had to
load NWN2, start a game, then load the expansion... this also meant that you couldn't play any of the new
races in the original campaign. I was so miffed that I uninstalled it and never bothered playing it at all.
(At the time I didn't have internet access so DLing a patch would have required more effort on my part than
I was willing to make in a cold winter snow, no transportation, miles from an available public computer.)

Back to the original post topic:
I did contact D-Link, and it turns out that they did have a series of drivers available for various set-ups.
I got the one that I needed to work with XPpro sp3; it seems to have everything working as expected again.
Thanks to the info this excursion has led me to, I don't feel like I have to rely on sp3, and will use it
only as it suits me and what I use on my computer. IF it ticks me off too much, I may treat it like NWN2.

THANKS SO MUCH GEEKS for your stupendous information direction. I feel like a child all over again when
learning about computers. I wish I had started to use them when I was younger, I dislike being so nooby.
ON the plus side, I am actually having fun learning this stuff, thanks to this supportive site. THANKYOU!

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 28 October 2009 - 09:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us all to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I wish I had started to use them when I was younger, I dislike being so nooby.
ON the plus side, I am actually having fun learning this stuff, thanks to this supportive site. THANKYOU!

It's never too late to start and having fun learning is something I myself never tire of! You're very welcome! Take care!

makai