Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with repairing windows xp

• Please log in to reply

SHAC77

SHAC77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I am new here, and have already found a lot of helpful tips regarding my problem although still have yet to fix it.
I have XP installed (or did) and was online playin a game when pow, system froze and then went to the BSoD and said something about being stuck in an infinite loop. So, I powered down, and rebooted and thats when the system wouldnt boot.
I can get the system to boot and process and POST, I do get the beep. I have checked the bios and it does recognize that there is a western digital 320 gb hd, and it also recognizes my optical drive.
I have tried to repair the installation in the recovery console but I got the message when I ran the check disk that I have one or more unrecoveralbe errors on the harddrive. So after numerous atempts I tried to reinstall windows, but it said it would have to format. So i did. It formatted, installed windows, and then when its done and reboots, it just gets stuck in a loop....reboots, posts, quickly flashes a message somethin about boot error and then over and over reboot.
I went in to repair console, chkdsk....said drive ok but /r to check anyway. did chkdsk /r and first couple of times it would never say it fixed errors, but this last time 3 or 4th time running it...it goes from 75 to 50 75 to 50 and then sowly climbs from there.
This last time it said that it found multiple errors and had fixed them. so i exited and tried again...same thing.
I cant seem to get the system to recognize that windows is on the HD. When I run bootcfg /list it lists 1 C:\windows or something in that order. Since everything is gone due to the reformat (and before finding this forum with help on fixes lol), and I have an external with important stuff IE music/photos backed up, not too worried but I would love to try and save this HD if anyone can help.

Thanks for anyone with the time
Sheldon

Advertisements

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi SHAC77 and welcome to GeeksToGo!

Can you try to boot into the Recovery Console again and this time at the command prompt, try fixmbr.

Post back with the results.

Cheers,
Deon :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
sounds like your hard drive may be going bad...how old is the drive?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I agree with dsenette that the hard disk could be faulty. There is one thing, however, which you can try: Low Level Format which zeroes all the bits on the hard disk. This is done with Western Digital's Data LifeGuard Diagnostic bootable DOS CD which you have to create or By installing the utility on a working computer and running it from there. Please Have a look at here for download and instructions.

I saved many disks this way.

Please note: If after zeroing you cannot install windows that is because the disk have to be initialized (I think that is the correct term), partitioned and formatted to high level (ordinary format). This can be done by connecting the hard disk to a working computer and initializing it using Hard Disk Manager, or by another program like GParted which you can run from a GParted bootable CD or from GParted installed on a working computer.

SHAC77

SHAC77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the responses.
The whole computer itself was a home build in 4/2008, so roughly a year and a half old.
I tried the fixmbr and now it says

Invalid partition table_

Everything else is the same, bios is still recognizing everything, it posts yadda yadda.
Any other suggestions to try before I try the diagnostic low level format from Western Digital? :)