Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battery

• Please log in to reply

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
Hello,

Recently i have noticed something wrong in my laptop battery, when it's fully charged if i unplug the charger , duration left on balanced status is like 50 mins or less :)
And i feel it decreases quickly
Is my battery dying ? :)
anything i can do would confirm if I do have a problem or not ?

EDIT: I would like to know is it better to keep it in charge while working on it or i have to let the battery empty then recharge, i am confused about this because i have heard many different thoughts.

also here is a graph might help:

http://picpaste.com/graph.bmp

Thanks

aliB

Edited by ali.B, 27 October 2009 - 03:05 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like your battery is going out and might need to be replaced...there's also a chance that it could be the power adapter not functioning well which would result in partial charging

EDIT: I would like to know is it better to keep it in charge while working on it or i have to let the battery empty then recharge, i am confused about this because i have heard many different thoughts.

and you're going to continue to keep hearing different thoughts as most people can't agree on this

as a general rule of thumb with ANY rechargeable battery, it's best to fully drain the battery before recharging it. This prevents "battery memory" (drawing a blank on what that's actually called) which is where a battery that's charged before it's completely empty will end up losing total capacity.. Lithium Ion batteries (like laptop batteries) are SUPPOSED to not be effected by this but in personal experience...they are...just not as much as with other battery technologies..

personally, when i'm working on my laptop, it's plugged in...this is usually because if i've got my laptop out i'm probably going to be working on it for quite some time (full days work, etc..)

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
So in a while the battery will be completely dead ? :)

I am sure it's not the charger, I got 2 chargers ( one for me and the other one for my brother ) they actually the same , i have a acer aspire 6920G and got the 8920G

I tried his battery on his laptop and it worked and i got 1:53 mins left at 98%.

I really don't know what might caused this, it's not the first time , in my old laptop i lost the battery and the charger!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As long as it is plugged it, it will charge, just not fully. When you unplug the charger and use the battery, the amount of time will eventually dwindle to nothing.
Batteries do not last forever, even if charged according to the manufacturer.
I wont go there, because dsenette has stated the facts correct. Everyone has there opinion.

I tried his battery on his laptop and it worked and i got 1:53 mins left at 98%

Did you mean to say you tried his battery in yours and it gives almost 3 hours? If so, then your battery needs replacing.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

i bought a new battery :)

just want a few tips to make sure this one lasts longer.. :)

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
:)