Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Rig

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome.
If you need assistance with building the system there is a great guide here at GTG partially written by the little ninja guy Troy :) that can give you step by step instructions.
The guide is located HERE :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Actually, just for future reference, I wrote the entire guide, Artellos did the pictures. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Actually, just for future reference, I wrote the entire guide, Artellos did the pictures. :)

Show off :)

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Will any AM3 motherboard work with an AM3 CPU, or do they only work with certain AM3 boards? Newegg and Tiger have me confused because the egg has the ability to sort by processor, but that doesnt show all the AM3 boards, and tiger only lets you sort by socket type. Also, will DDR2 RAM work in DDR3 slots? I know I wouldnt get DDR3 speeds, but would it work ok?

Edited by jdawg183, 31 October 2009 - 11:10 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All AM3 boards should support all AM3 processors, but some will need a BIOS flash in order to detect the processor correctly... to check just see the CPU support list of the mobo you are looking at.

DDR2 RAM will NOT work in DDR3 slots.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tigerdirect all AM3 cpu and MOBO combo sets HERE

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, so here is what I ended up with. I went back and forth between the Phenom x3 720 and the Phenom x4 9850 which were comparably priced. I ended up going with the X3 because it has quite a bit higher clock rate (2.8 VS 2.5), the fact that motherboards for this processor support DDR3 RAM, and a larger L3 cache (6MB VS 2 MB) which I understand helps gaming quite a bit. I went with the SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 on the recommendation of the nice guys above, GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard, 4 GB of GSkill dual channel DDR3 RAM, a WD 320 GB HDD and a LOGISYS Computer Area 51 CS51WBK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case for a grand total of $430, $453 shipped. I just received the case today and am waiting for the rest of the parts to come tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help, you really pointed me in the right direction and helped me understand better what to look for. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job jdawg183
Let us know when you are ready to start assembling.
Try to take pictures of the system being built and post them. We would enjoy the progress watching as you build it. :)

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I will (hopefully) begin assembly tomorrow before I go to work. It will all depend on MR UPS. He came early today, but usually doesnt come until about 5, I leave for work at 4. I ripped out the CD burner and floppy from my old machine and have thrown them in already. I will try to contain my excitement enough to get some good pictures while I assemble, but honestly I am so flippin excited, there might only be pictures before the mobo, with the mobo, cards and RAM installed, and then completed :) Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Remember if you need some guidance don't forget about this tutorial HERE.
I can understand your excitement but take your time and make sure everything is connected properly.
You don't want to go through all this to have something short out when you first turn it on. :)
As always we are here to help if you are second guessing something or not sure. :)

Advertisements

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks man, you are the best! I already have your guide all bookmarked and ready to go! Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :)

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, HELP!!! I got everything installed and I thought everything was going well, but when I went to power it on, it didnt work right. The LED's on the front came on, the fans came on (so I know the motherboard has power) the issue is that I plug in my VGA monitor, and while the "No Signal" disappears from the monitor, nothing replaces it. Also, I did not plug in a mouse or keyboard when I first powered it on, and it did not beep to indicate that it was posting and did not find the hardware. The fan on the video card is also not spinning. Everything else from the hardware side seems to power on from the power switch, but the power switch will now not turn it off. The only way to power it down is to unplug it. Man, I really screwed up!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the new build?
IS there power to the video card?
Did you make sure there are no stand offs under the motherboard except where a screw goes into one?
Is the cpu seated completely?
Is the memory in the correct slots?
Is there power connected to the mobo?

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Is this the new build?
IS there power to the video card?
Did you make sure there are no stand offs under the motherboard except where a screw goes into one?
Is the cpu seated completely?
Is the memory in the correct slots?
Is there power connected to the mobo?

Yes, it is the new build,
I dont know about the power to the card, there is no dedicated power connector to it though.
The standoffs are correct
The CPU is seated completely and the CPU fan is turning
I installed the memory in the 1 and 2 slots
The connector is connected to the mobo, and all the fans and lights that are working are only connected to the MOBO, so there has to be power getting to it. If it was just an issue with the video card, wouldnt it still beep at me for not having the keyboard and mouse during the post?