Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Rig

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It depends on the system as not all will have the same beeps.
Are your memory slots color coded?
Some mobo's have slot 1 and 3 as the matching slots.
Let's backup for a minute and look at everything.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility
Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Advertisements

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I will try that tomorrow, I am stuck at work now. Meanwhile, hear are a couple pics, I will have the finished product when it is... finished. Thanks again!
Computer.jpg Computer2.jpg Computer3.jpg

Edited by jdawg183, 05 November 2009 - 06:08 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
in your pics it appears you are using 40 pin 40 wire cables for your hard drive ...this is ok for optical drives but not for hard drives...they need to be 40 pin 80 wire cables like here...the round ones help with case airflow...you will have to scroll down to see the whole list..

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I only have that connection on the hard drive I pulled out of my old machine and the CD burner as they are both IDE only, not the new one which is using a SATA connector. Do you think that could be causing the problem? If so, I can just remove that HDD for now. Do they have any cables like the ones you pointed me to that can connect to 2IDE devices? My mobo only has one connection

Edited by jdawg183, 05 November 2009 - 07:10 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then why did you post the pic with the ide cable attached to the hard drive...
if you have a new sata drive that your loading your OS to...disconnect the IDE hard drive UNTIL your done and everything is working properly...

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry about that, this is my first build and I didnt know that having both a SATA and IDE HDD connected would cause problems. Do you think that is the culprit than?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Very well could be the problem.
When loading a OS on a new system it is always advisable to have only the drive you are loading to and the optical drive. No issues at that point.
BTW Happyrock.... thank god for pics in this case...it sure made it easier to see the problem. :)

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
One other thought just occurred to me. When I was installing the MOBO, I set it down so the ports where out, noticed the location of the standoffs, removed the board and placed the top two, then repeated the process two at a time to make sure I got them all in the correct spot. Anywho, when it came time to actually install it, I had to put a reasonable amount of pressure towards the back of the case to get the hole to line up completely. Is it possible that if it is touching the back of the case, it might be shorting out? If it was shorting out, would the fans still come to life or would it just appear dead?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Pull the motherboard out and fire it up, it will let you know if your suspicions are correct. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Do they have any cables like the ones you pointed me to that can connect to 2IDE devices? My mobo only has one connection

yep... scroll down far enough at that link and you will see them

Advertisements

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, so now I feel like a total idiot, but the good news is that everything is up and running now :) My issue was that there was the ATK connector that I hooked up, but there was nothing else near it that looked like it should hook up to the PSU. Well after reading what you guys have been saying as well as doing some more reading online, I realized that there was an 8 pin connector in the middle, halfway across the MOBO from the other connector. Anyway, long story short, my PSU only had 1 four pin connector, I threw that in and bada bing bada boom I am up and running. I am actually posting this from that machine right now. Thank you very much again guys, I really appreciate it!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

jdawg183

jdawg183

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, last question. Is there anything special I need to do to get my internet going well? It is functioning, but very slowly. I went to speedtest, and it ranked me at 0.22 Mb/s compared to the 1 Mb my laptop gets when on a wifi connection to the same router. I disabled the wifi on the laptop to make sure it wasnt taking any bandwidth, and it came back with the same results. Any suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this...

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Let me know how it runs after this.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and download System Investigator by Olrik (SINO.exe)

Save SINO to a place you can remember and run SINO.exe. (If you downloaded the ZIP version you will need to extract it first)
put ticks in the following checkboxes:
System Info
Services
Boot Check
Tasklist
Startup Items

Ipconfig
Ping
Netstat
Hosts file
Shares
Routing Table[/code]
Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.

A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply
Note: If you try to interact with the program once it’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.